SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB Decent Floyd Rose Inserts/Posts

What's Hot
Dave_VaderDave_Vader Frets: 360
The inserts on the cheap Floyd Rose knock off I've been testing my frankenstrat with have come loose, and so they'll need setting in epoxy and I'm still not sure if it's worth investing in a real Floyd for such a cheap bit of wood.

I'm not keen on setting the cheap chinese ones in there forever, given how many threads I've stripped on the other parts already.

Anybody got a spare set of inserts/mounting posts lying about in their parts boxes they want to sell me before I go ordering a new set?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14560
    If/when threaded inserts work loose enough to be pulled upwards by the string/spring tension load, it is because the wood is deforming. 

Fender Redwood Stratocasters can suffer badly from this. 

As the hole widens, the insert and post cease to sit perpendicular to the line taken by the strings. This affects both intonation and tuning stability.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Dave_VaderDave_Vader Frets: 360
    Yep, it happened on my main strat. I fixed it with araldite.
    I only drilled this in on Saturday and it needed hammering in.
    This is almost certainly due to the cheapest of pot metal parts in a poorly routed 90s chinese Squier body (the trem was a tenner brand new on ebay - the whole thing).
    I'm not even sure if this project is worth finishing so I'm not investing in 200 quids worth of proper Floyd for it

On the other hand, I don't want to have to hang 200 quids worth of proper Floyd from a cheap bit of pot metal I've glued in like a numpty and can't get out again. So a few quid on a decent insert is a fine investment. For some reason that 90s chinese squier body sings like you wouldn't believe.
  • roman_subroman_sub Frets: 18
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_VaderDave_Vader Frets: 360
    Brilliant, thanks @roman_sub PM incoming