Anyone got a monster graphics card in their quiet studio PC?

Hi all, my current studio PC is totally silent but I'd like to start editing 4K video w/Resolve. Resolve seems to be pretty GPU resource hungry  I'm thinking of building a whole new PC, but I don't really want to loose the silent aspect of new build.

Has anybody tried one of the GPU's which promise to remain silent when not being stressed? I don't mind if it's noisy when rendering or editing Resolve, but I don't want to be noisy when it doing other things. The best passive cooled GPU I can find is probably not ideal for Resolve.

Any thoughts? Do the huge GPU's generally stay silent when doing general music production, or do they end up spinning up constantly? I've built PC's before with 'silent' fans and generally found them pretty noisy. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    No such thing as a quiet monster graphics card :D  I have a 2080 which I silent until 50c but then the fans kick in...... And really you need decent air flow via the case for such a beastly card 
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1947
    No such thing as a quiet monster graphics card :D  I have a 2080 which I silent until 50c but then the fans kick in...... And really you need decent air flow via the case for such a beastly card 
    If you are doing non-video based work, do the fans come on, or does it stay below 50?
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    Lodious said:
    If you are doing non-video based work, do the fans come on, or does it stay below 50?
    I've got an EVGA 2080 in my machine and the fans don't kick in unless I'm taxing it (working on video or gaming...). It's sat just under 45 degrees at the mo in a case with sub par thermals, though they're not bad considering it's 27 degrees in my room at the mo.

They're noticeable when they kick in though, hough not obnoxiously loud. The CPU cooler is also evident all of the time, but, inoffensive. I've come from using laptops previously though, and they sounded like they were taking off!
    Chris_J said:
    Lodious said:
    I've got an EVGA 2080 in my machine and the fans don't kick in unless I'm taxing it (working on video or gaming...). It's sat just under 45 degrees at the mo in a case with sub par thermals, though they're not bad considering it's 27 degrees in my room at the mo.

They're noticeable when they kick in though, hough not obnoxiously loud. The CPU cooler is also evident all of the time, but, inoffensive. I've come from using laptops previously though, and they sounded like they were taking off!
    Perfect, thanks Chris. As long as I can build it so the fans are not on when I'm recording, I'm fine with some noise when using Resolve. 
    It's running at 38 degrees today btw as much cooler in my room at 21. just FYI :)
  • I've got an AMD RX580 and it's quiet until I do any 3D work, which is fine, coz I don't do 3D work at the same time as audio.

Bye!

Cheers everyone. I ended up getting a semi monster (MSI 2060 super) card. So far it's been silent when doing non graphic work, so I'm really happy. 
    Great!

If you were wondering what your thermals were like (so you knew how much headroom you have before the fans kick in) then GPU-Z and/or OpenHardwareMonitor are useful little tools.
    Chris_J said:
    Great!

If you were wondering what your thermals were like (so you knew how much headroom you have before the fans kick in) then GPU-Z and/or OpenHardwareMonitor are useful little tools.
    Thank Chris, I'll give them a go :-)
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    If you really want a beast - go water cooled - my most silent PC was very quiet with "silent" fans inside on GPU, CPU and case.  Latest one is a bit noiser, but only marginally so
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    will be inteested to know how the card works out cos I purposefully went for a silent card, and tbf the PC is very quiet full stop
    @Snap I'll update after the weekend when I've had chance to do some recording and video editing. Apart from booting up, I don't think the GPU fans have come on yet, but the kids are installing Overwatch, so that's going to change in about an hour :-)