#FINISHED#sinbaadi's tele novice build thread

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    By the way, what nut files did you get in the end? I've got the szdepot ones off ebay, which leave a bit to be desired: reading carefully they seem to claim to be an acoustic set, the one ebay seller that seems to list sizes for them (looks like everyone is selling the same kit) gives the smallest as 0.6mm which is about 0.023". Don't have callipers here to measure them, but I was able to use the #1 file for the top three strings...
    Some of the larger gauge ones have a terrible edge to them, actually two-pronged in profile.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1305
    Ahh yes, I think I must have had the same set.  Naively started filing away trusting the numbers then realised the slots look a bit bigger than the ones I was lowering.  I returned them (one had only got an abrasive edge on one side anyway), plumped for some Hosco ones and finished them off.  The nut still needs filing lower across the top which I will do when I switch the tuners, it's not mdphillips, but it's not neat (the slots look bigger than the part the string is actually sat in too because of the bigger files I started with, and some were perilously close to as low they could be).
    Any recommendations for tuners?  I'd like to put some Vintage ones on, but I suppose it adds some complications to the fitting.  Although, saying that, given the quite random placement of the screw holes on the back of the neck I think either way it will require some woodworking, perhaps plugging of holes and redrilling.
    edited September 2014
    Finally getting round to fixing the problems with the guitar, and I got a bit carried away.  

This (after a bit of wet sanding) pretty well shows how bad the finish actually was.  I'd done my best to mask it with polishing/buffing, but I've spent a fair amount of time flatting it, and it now has a first layer of clear on the back and sides (not hurrying through with two sides at a time now).

This was taken immediately after application, and it looks better already.  Some more flatting and re-application and I'll be about 30 times happier with it than I was.

Also streamlined the headstock (much neater and less mainsail like now).
    Black (why not) locking machineheads and string trees on the way, plus a punt on an "interesting" blue pickguard, which probably won't fit but was cheap, and black pickguard screws to help improve the appearance a little if/when it doesn't.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hi @sinbaadi Yes, that looks much better. The final flattening is important and makes all the difference. What I do then is wipe on very thinned varnish (30% min), let it dry, then one more coat usually covers the remaining dull bits from the flatening. Then I leave it at least two weeks to fully harden, finally polishing with Meguiers Carnuba Wax. Andy
    Thanks @Andyjr1515.  I've ordered a cheapish pickup from axesrus to replace the bridge one, which I don't like as much as the neck one, but in the mean time: (Apologies in advance for crappy phone pics)
    Black hardware arrived for the headstock: Good. 

But I wasn't really happy enough with the look of it.  Much better than the nasty chrome bits, but it kind of reminded me of spotted dick, so it was either go dark blonde with the wood, or.......
    I'm quite pleased with it on the whole and it should hopefully tie it in with the guitar body a lot more, it's not as solid a black as it appears on there, and I have put a couple of thin coats of lacquer over it now too.  I do wish I'd put a logo or emblem on there, however.  So a few more days for it all to dry properly (not sure I have the patience for 2 weeks, though I may try), final polish and it's time to put it back together again (hopefully for the last time).

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Getting more adventurous by the day! Looking very smart now.

Really happy with how it looks now, it ain't perfect and I never kidded myself it would be, but it doesn't fill me with rage anymore.  I may have made myself a problem, though.  I did the neck shim thing, and for whatever reason my folded once over piece of paper has probably made it go too far the other way.  Saddles are basically maxed out and it's not quite right yet.   

Any experience souls have a suggestion (which isn't take the neck off again).  

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Neck reset, saddles are still nice and high. I went for an iron gear steel foundry bridge pickup and it's a belter! It's playing as nicely now as it was before but it looks much much better.
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Brilliant job.
    On to the next.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Top work mate, you've inspired me to get one of these kits. Hopefully the wife will make it a Christmas present :)

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

edited November 2014
    hobbio said:
    Top work mate, you've inspired me to get one of these kits. Hopefully the wife will make it a Christmas present :)
    Thanks.  If you read some of the other threads on here you won't go far wrong.  WezV wrote a guide to neck and fret work which was the best I've come across.  Too many people seem to want to make things appear as complicated as possible.

All the best with yours, it's great fun and if you're anything like me, you'll be hooked.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom