Dearmond Ashbury silicone rubber string suppliers.

What's Hot
musicalstashmusicalstash Frets: 53
Does anyone know where I can source a set of silicone bass strings for a Dearmond Ashbury bass. 

Took my bass out of storage to find the D and A strings had snapped,  been looking online but can only find single strings but they are in the states. 

Thank 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    they do have a habit of snapping unexpectedly,  although normally its at the nut or bridge and you can sometimes re-tie them.    The last ones i got were imported direct from Fender, its worth stocking up.

• Sadly it broke about 4" in so cannot reattach.   

A quick question is the output on your instrument quite low  . 
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    Aren’t they similar to those used on the Kala U-bass (uke Bass)? Might be easier to source that way.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294

The Bass Centre sells modern Ashbory basses so you could try contacting them. Doesn’t seem to list specific strings for them on their website.
    There’s an old Ashbory Bass Facebook page where they mention using Aquila Thunderguts ie the UBass strings as @Moe_Zambeek says. One of the reviews on thomann for these strings uses them on an Ashbory:

https://imgur.com/a/lMhB5hT
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1440
    I've had a couple of Ashbory basses, both original Guild USA and Fender / DeArnond.   I had the original blue strings on the Guild one, I'd put my house on them being standard rubber cord rather than something specifically made for Ashbory.

On the modern one, I had both new clear Fender strinfgs, and also Pahoehoe black polyurethane ones - they both worked well.

Frankly, it's just a piezo pickup - so anything that fits a Kala UBass will work, as previously mentioned.

• Thanks for the suggestions 
    . Will get myself a set of thunderguts ordered.  
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Dodge said:
    I've had a couple of Ashbory basses, both original Guild USA and Fender / DeArnond.   I had the original blue strings on the Guild one, I'd put my house on them being standard rubber cord rather than something specifically made for Ashbory.

On the modern one, I had both new clear Fender strinfgs, and also Pahoehoe black polyurethane ones - they both worked well.

Frankly, it's just a piezo pickup - so anything that fits a Kala UBass will work, as previously mentioned.

In my random googling of this I read that the Ubass was invented by someone slapping some DeArmond strings on a concert uke to see what would happen. It worked surprisingly well and they developed the Ubass from that, so the two things are not just similar but actually interconnected. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.