Recommendations for amplifer for monitors

What's Hot
lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
edited July 2020 in Studio & Recording
I have some old speakers I want to use for monitoring but they are passive so I need an amplifer. I don't have a lot of space or budget so are there any amplifiers you can recommend that have a small footprint?

If possible something the same size as my Focusrite Scarlett interface would be ideal
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33815
    Any cheap home stereo amplifier you can find on gumtree or eBay for not much money.

Denon are always a good shout.
  • lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    octatonic said:
    Any cheap home stereo amplifier you can find on gumtree or eBay for not much money.

Thanks. Wasn't sure if any sort of amplifer would do or if it needed to be a specific kind.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33815
    octatonic said:

Thanks. Wasn't sure if any sort of amplifer would do or if it needed to be a specific kind.
    As long as it has some sort of aux in (probably on RCA's) and speaker terminals out then you should be fine.
    What impedance are your speakers?
  • lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    octatonic said:

What impedance are your speakers?
    No idea. I'll have to have a look. I used to have them linked to an old hifi but not sure. Will it have an impact on what amp I get?
  • JohnS37JohnS37 Frets: 348
    Years ago I found a Pioneer A300 on eBay for £30.  It has been fantastic, and of course doing it this way you benefit from all the switchable inputs as well (I can feed in from several mixers/sources). I often see A300s and the slightly more powerful A400s on sBay and they are always low priced.  Look in both the Sound and Vision and Musical Instruments sections.  These amps are super quiet and have a very even freq response, perfect for mixing IMO.
    Good luck!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Years ago I was using some whardale delta 30s with a rotel amp and it sounded awful.  Borrowed my mates monitors and a Samson servo to try a few combinations and was surprised to find out it was my amp that was the weak link, not the speakers.  The Samson’s are excellent for the money, you find them on eBay for £50