Office Chairs - recommendations please

2»

Comments

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2891
    I have a chair at work (forget the name right now) but it was well over £1000.  I had to be measured and weighed when the chap came to set it up.  No one else can use it as he balanced it for me and whilst I think its great, it just tips anyone else out.

I had a seriously bad back at the time and it was the only way I was able to sit all day and do anything useful.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richman6100richman6100 Frets: 339
    Back In Action are worth a look. https://www.backinaction.co.uk/atwork. Five spinal ops in, I'm forced to take these things seriously. Not cheap, but worth it if you need it.
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4176
    Jalapeno said:
    I have one of these and it's pretty good, mine has been used almost daily for a few years now and it seems to not be wearing at all. And it's okay to sit in all day too
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• steersteer Frets: 1188
    edited July 2020
    I've got one of these cheap Ikea chairs:

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/flintan-office-chair-vissle-grey-80336838/

Had it well before the covid situation, so I bought it for occasional use. I am now using it for long hours every day, and I am pleased with it. It is comfortable and solid. It's probably not quite as good as the chair costing hundreds that I have in the office. 

Its difficult in this current situation, because ideally you would want to try a few out in a showroom somewhere. Perhaps with things creeping towards normality again, you will be able to visit somewhere that has a selection.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22887
    steer said:
    Its difficult in this current situation, because ideally you would want to try a few out in a showroom somewhere. Perhaps with things creeping towards normality again, you will be able to visit somewhere that has a selection.

Agreed, but more than that, I think you actually need to spend a few days using them to see how comfortable they really are.

I've spent the last 15 weeks fiddling about with various back supports, special cushions, normal cushions, pillows, wedge-shaped things you put on the seat, etc.  Some of them will make my lower back feel comfortable but then I'll get a pain in my shoulder blades, or my tailbone... others will feel comfortable one day and uncomfortable the next (the wedge-shaped thing, incidentally, gave me nothing but agony*).

With all that in mind I'd be very hesitant to spend the best part of a grand, or more, on a chair, nice though they look.  There's no guarantee they'll suit the peculiarities of my body.

(* Word "agony" used for dramatic effect.  The wedge-shaped thing was very uncomfortable.)

• skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4176
    I've had a few adverts for office chairs pop up on facebook and things like that and some of them look pretty good and reasonably priced, but then I notice that they're "leather-look" or "synthetic leather" or whatever else they're calling it... so; plastic then, basically? Surely after a day of sitting in one of those bad boys everything would be as sweaty and clammy as anything? :confounded: 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)