Upgrading a Mexican Fender - worth it?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14427
    Ché said:
    I was thinking of swapping out the neck for a roasted maple C shape, switching out the bridge and adding some new pickups.
    Rereading this Discussion, it is yet to be established why these changes are considered necessary.

Changing the vibrato bridge sustain block from zinc to steel, I can understand.

Changing the pickups and/or control electronics, I can understand.

The neck of the CP is fundamental to its Fifties vibe. If you dislike it so much, it might be easier to ditch the entire guitar and start again.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChéChé Frets: 304
    DrBob said:
    Definitely check out the Albert Lee, they are phenomenal guitars 

I plsn too, on the look out for one currently.

Rereading this Discussion, it is yet to be established why these changes are considered necessary.

Changing the vibrato bridge sustain block from zinc to steel, I can understand.

Changing the pickups and/or control electronics, I can understand.

The neck of the CP is fundamental to its Fifties vibe. If you dislike it so much, it might be easier to ditch the entire guitar and start again.
    Yeah, the neck is giving me a bit of trouble. I got it moreso for the finish but I've played v necks before, recently I haven't been getting a long well with it, hence musing on replacing the neck.

• ChéChé Frets: 304
    Had a play with the strat today. Changed the strings down to 9s and lowered the action considerably. Took some scotch brite to the back of the neck as well. All helped a lot. Think I might get the fretboard edges rounded by my luthier. First finger bends (and generally anything with that first knuckle) give my knuckle a lot grief, I had them rounded on my SG and it's far easier on my joints.