SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB Stewmac nut files

What's Hot
JazzthatJazzthat Frets: 163
I have been searching for those files in UK , but it doesn't appear to be available .
Recent custom and RM charges put me off buying small orders from outside of Europe .
Ideally looking for a set . 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11603
    edited July 2020 tFB Trader
    I have a used set of 4 double edge nut files (the v shaped ones) about a year or two old
    Still plenty of life but we change one set of ours out every year - we run 3 sets at any one time so no one set is getting all the wear and tear.

Cost £130 to buy with the duty and VAT. Sell for £70 shipped special delivery 

For sizes
    12/20
    26/32
    36/42
      50/60

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• JazzthatJazzthat Frets: 163
    Thanks for the offer . They are a bit odd sizes don't they ?
    How would I cut a nut for let's say 10-46 strings ?
    tFB Trader
    suspect that Stewmac favour acoustic sizing....
    with the v shaped taper you have quite a lot of latitude depending on your touch

12 used lightly
    12 rolled for a 13
    the 17 is a bitch as stewmac changed the 16 for a 20 years ago, but the 20 used lightly will work well
    50 not used too heavily

Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

tFB Trader

I'll read about these files and let you know if it'll be good for what I need .
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    I think you are only going to get stew mac files from stew mac. If thats what you really want I think you may just have to suck up the costs. but there are a few EU/UK alternatives

Crimson guitars
    Thomann
    ToneTech Hosco

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1445
    edited July 2020
    I've got some 'Norman Nut Files' which are basically feeler guages with a cutting edge ground onto them.  I used one of them once to clean up a nut slot.  I paid something like £55 back in the day, but you're welcome to them for £25 shipped.  Google them for reviews / reports:

phil_b said:
    I think you are only going to get stew mac files from stew mac. If thats what you really want I think you may just have to suck up the costs. but there are a few EU/UK alternatives

Crimson guitars
    Thomann
    ToneTech Hosco

I wouldn't mind buying Stewmac files from Feline guitars , but it seems they are not suitable for 0.010" strings . 
    Having looked at Stewmac website in fact , they do even do 0.017" one , so as suggested by Feline Guitars , I might buy new set of Hosco double sided . 
    The only concern is , there are quite a few negative comments that they cut oversized . 
    Not sure if it's users error or they're not that accurate ?
    As for Crimson guitars files , they appear to be Hosco ones.
    Dodge said:
    I've got some 'Norman Nut Files' which are basically feeler guages with a cutting edge ground onto them.  I used one of them once to clean up a nut slot.  I paid something like £55 back in the day, but you're welcome to them for £25 shipped.  Google them for reviews / reports:

Thanks for that mate , but I think I'll buy Hosco ones . Just need a time to decide .