Dreadnought or OM

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
    The OM body shape is the most versatile, so if you only have one guitar this would be the best choice.
    disagree
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
    I'd worry more about the soundboard, and would recommend a Jumbo as a default option
    If you are playing with a plectrum, get a spruce top, not cedar 
    I won't cover the less common soundboard woods unless you are thinking of any

spruce has more dynamic range, and is (especially adirondack) harder to "move" than cedar.
    Therefore spruce is recommended for plectrum players, cedar for fingerpickers
    But of course, you can still use either
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • malcolmkindnessmalcolmkindness Frets: 164
    edited July 2020
    ICBM said:
    The OM body shape is the most versatile, so if you only have one guitar this would be the best choice.
    That seems to be a common opinion, but I disagree.

A good Dreadnought will do everything an OM can *and* has a bigger sound for heavy strumming. That's why I have one.
    I have one too and it is excellent, but I also have smaller bodied guitars which are more comfortable to play and generally have a more balanced sound. An OM is a very good compromise if you are only going to have one guitar.
  • malcolmkindnessmalcolmkindness Frets: 164
    edited July 2020
    Redlester said:
    Years back I used to think that ‘small body= a picker; dreadnought= a strummer”. 

What changed my mind was getting seriously into playing and listening to some great players. Davey Graham in the 60s? One of the finest pickers ever and mostly all on a Gibson J-50. Lots of John Renbourn’s fine earlier work was played on a Guild Dreadnought. Another of the finest pickers ever is Ralph McTell, and he’s a J-45 man! 

Then there’s Bert Jansch, a great player of 000 and 0M models until the mid 70s but who played a Yamaha dreadnought so beautifully for years.

It really is horses for courses, which is why I have found shopping for an acoustic when I’ve done it a long but enlightening process. I find everything about acoustics extremely subjective, which is why it’s good to chat about them on forums like this, but you can’t beat getting your hands on one and really trying before buying. Possibly easier said than done with Covid-19 ongoing of course, but potentially worth the effort. 

Let us know when you get something you like! 

These great British players from the 60's generally played any guitar they could get their hands on, there wasn't much choice in those days and what there was was very expensive. Bert Jansch didn't even own a guitar for many years, he just borrowed one as needed, then had a handmade John Bailey (small bodied) for several years before settling with Yamaha.

Davy Graham often played a flamenco guitar or even an arch top!

John Renbourn played a Franklin OM for many years and then a Bown OM until his death.

One of my favourite players Duck Baker, usually plays a flamenco guitar or a Fylde Gordon Giltrap model.

Ralph McTell and Wizz Jones are the only ones I can think of who have consistently played their Gibsons.

We really are spoiled for choice nowadays.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Universal8Universal8 Frets: 134
    Redlester said:

I’ve narrowed it down to 2 dreadnoughts. A Martin D18 and a Furch Vintage. I’ve played both in the past and really like both ( one is mahogany, one rosewood). I think you definitely get more for your money with the Furch but the Martin is still tempting.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494
    edited July 2020
    Redlester said:

I’ve narrowed it down to 2 dreadnoughts. A Martin D18 and a Furch Vintage. I’ve played both in the past and really like both ( one is mahogany, one rosewood). I think you definitely get more for your money with the Furch but the Martin is still tempting.
    Fine choice. Either one will be a winner.

I'm considering getting the Furch OM counterpart later this year. If you do get the Furch Vintage Dread, please report back your thoughts!
    Redlester said:
    Years back I used to think that ‘small body= a picker; dreadnought= a strummer”. 

What changed my mind was getting seriously into playing and listening to some great players. Davey Graham in the 60s? One of the finest pickers ever and mostly all on a Gibson J-50. Lots of John Renbourn’s fine earlier work was played on a Guild Dreadnought. Another of the finest pickers ever is Ralph McTell, and he’s a J-45 man! 

Then there’s Bert Jansch, a great player of 000 and 0M models until the mid 70s but who played a Yamaha dreadnought so beautifully for years.

It really is horses for courses, which is why I have found shopping for an acoustic when I’ve done it a long but enlightening process. I find everything about acoustics extremely subjective, which is why it’s good to chat about them on forums like this, but you can’t beat getting your hands on one and really trying before buying. Possibly easier said than done with Covid-19 ongoing of course, but potentially worth the effort. 

These great British players from the 60's generally played any guitar they could get their hands on, there wasn't much choice in those days and what there was was very expensive. Bert Jansch didn't even own a guitar for many years, he just borrowed one as needed, then had a handmade John Bailey (small bodied) for several years before settling with Yamaha.

Davy Graham often played a flamenco guitar or even an arch top!

John Renbourn played a Franklin OM for many years and then a Bown OM until his death.

One of my favourite players Duck Baker, usually plays a flamenco guitar or a Fylde Gordon Giltrap model.

Ralph McTell and Wizz Jones are the only ones I can think of who have consistently played their Gibsons.

We really are spoiled for choice nowadays.
    Agree. The choice for guitarists be it acoustic or electric is the best it's ever been, great guitars available at any budget,

Also, Davey, Bert & John were some of the finest guitarists of all time for creativity, expression and technique - the more familiar I become with their work the more my appreciation for it grows.
  • What's the equivalent of a yamaha LJ size 

It's bigger than my martin Om18 but not as big as a dread. It's very comfy. Definitely more bottom end than my 018.

I assume there each manufacturer has a middle ground between their dreads and Om models 

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    What's the equivalent of a yamaha LJ size 

It's bigger than my martin Om18 but not as big as a dread. It's very comfy. Definitely more bottom end than my 018.

I assume there each manufacturer has a middle ground between their dreads and Om models 

The LJ is like a Gibson Jumbo I think
  • FunkyGibbonFunkyGibbon Frets: 14
    edited July 2020
    I have a 00, OM, and dread’. In my experience, the differences are more around the combination of timbers and construction/bracing than size per se. I could live the rest of my life with any one of them. If you’ve got it down to 2 dreads I suggest you find out which sounds most like the guitar in your head. Most people have a rosewood/ mahogany/ other timber preference. I think it’s useful to know what your preference is or whether your taste is wider that a single primary tonewood and based on the combination of the top + back & sides. 

The 00-25 is a noodle on the sofa blues box. The OM-28 gets played for other people to sing to in church. The D-18GE is the guitar in my head and is equally astonishing whether strummed, finger-picked or flat-picked.

I’m  5.4” and also, in my experience, the comfort of the body size is impacted by how you hold/position the guitar. I always use a strap, even when seated. I’ve recently been wondering about an OM-18GE abd whether it might be a more playable size over the next 20-30 years. 

I’d also comment that I have been pleasantly surprised by the +ve difference the extra 1/16 of an inch at the nut makes with 1&11/16 vs 1&3/4 for my older hands. I play rhythm and finger style mostly. 

IME, you really need to play the different sizes and wood combinations to find what works for you sound and feel-wise. I spent 2-3 years trying to identify the guitar in my head (which turned out to be a D18) but the first Martin I bought was the 00-15. Play lots of guitars and buy the one which won’t let you leave without it.

happy hunting!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I must admit, I am now sorely tempted by one of the Yamaha LJ26 that are on such a good deal. I know the quality will be phenomenal.
  • sunshinewellysunshinewelly Frets: 731
    edited July 2020
    The yamaha quality is off the scale and that's coming from a new martin OM18 owner

The LJ size is perfect for me. I have had a slight right neck ache playing the martin for long periods of time seated.

Peach still have a couple left.  There is no loss of tone as far as I can hear with the cutaway models. 
    I have a 00, OM, and dread’. In my experience, the differences are more around the combination of timbers and construction/bracing than size per se. I could live the rest of my life with any one of them. If you’ve got it down to 2 dreads I suggest you find out which sounds most like the guitar in your head. Most people have a rosewood/ mahogany/ other timber preference. I think it’s useful to know what your preference is or whether your taste is wider that a single primary tonewood and based on the combination of the top + back & sides. 

The 00-25 is a noodle on the sofa blues box. The OM-28 gets played for other people to sing to in church. The D-18GE is the guitar in my head and is equally astonishing whether strummed, finger-picked or flat-picked.

I’m  5.4” and also, in my experience, the comfort of the body size is impacted by how you hold/position the guitar. I always use a strap, even when seated. I’ve recently been wondering about an OM-18GE abd whether it might be a more playable size over the next 20-30 years. 

I’d also comment that I have been pleasantly surprised by the +ve difference the extra 1/16 of an inch at the nut makes with 1&11/16 vs 1&3/4 for my older hands. I play rhythm and finger style mostly. 

IME, you really need to play the different sizes and wood combinations to find what works for you sound and feel-wise. I spent 2-3 years trying to identify the guitar in my head (which turned out to be a D18) but the first Martin I bought was the 00-15. Play lots of guitars and buy the one which won’t let you leave without it.

happy hunting!

Some really great points.

IMO, Martins D/OM-18GE's are some of the finest modern made acoustic guitars.
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    Schnozz said:
    What's the equivalent of a yamaha LJ size 

The LJ is like a Gibson Jumbo I think
    The closest equivalent to an LJ would be a Gibson J-185. Collings base their SJ on the 185 as does one of the top builders in the USA, Olsen. The main difference between the 185 and the others is that the Gibson has a shorter scale length.
    Well, I gave in and ordered the last LJ26 they had in stock. Should have it on Thursday.
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Well, I gave in and ordered the last LJ26 they had in stock. Should have it on Thursday.
    I'm pretty sure you are going to be very happy indeed with this. 

It should give you full and even strumming response with plenty of bass and mids richness, but also individual note clarity for fingerpicking and picked lead styles.
    I'm pretty sure you are going to be very happy indeed with this. 

It should give you full and even strumming response with plenty of bass and mids richness, but also individual note clarity for fingerpicking and picked lead styles.
    Thanks, I really hope so !