My PRS: keep, modify, sell..?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    Ah - does this mean that a stock CE22 with birds and rotary simply doesn't exist?  That saves me wasting time hunting for one, so thank you!
    They definitely exist, they're just rare. Remember that back then, almost all PRSs had rotary switches as stock - it's just that many owners removed them. You can re-fit a missing one, although the hole in the wood will have been enlarged slightly.

I think you'd be surprised about finding a Custom 22 in your price range, too - especially one in slightly less than perfect condition (this still counts for a huge amount with most PRS buyers) and possibly in one of the less-desirable colours, which are mostly the 'candy' ones.

I sold my faded purple/pink Custom 22 with changed pickups and a bit worn around the edges for a grand only a few years ago, and I doubt it would have gone up much now. Wide-Thin necks are also less fashionable than Wide-Fat, which will help.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gazrichardsgazrichards Frets: 691
    I have a ce22 with dots and a hardtail
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7348
    I wouldn't shave the neck because then if you still don't like it (sound might change) you're going to struggle to sell it.
    I had a 2006 CE22 in an orange colour that I really liked apart from the wide fat neck. I swapped it and I haven't missed it at all.
  • Thanks, all.  @ICBM ;- if the CE line only got birds (as guitargeek62 suggests) in the mid 2000s, wasn't that long after they dropped the rotary control?

I'm also starting to wonder if I'd like to have a go with a semi for the weight reduction... which I think makes an SE quite likely.  That can hit everyone of my requirements apart from the rotary control, can't it?  I'll have a think and will probably put the current CE22 up for sale or trade soon.
    Thanks, all.  @ICBM ;- if the CE line only got birds (as guitargeek62 suggests) in the mid 2000s, wasn't that long after they dropped the rotary control?
    No... they are rare, but they do exist.

https://reverb.com/item/452059-paul-reed-smith-ce-22-1996-emerald-green

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Ah - so birds do go back that far on the CE line. Thanks - will see what comes up!
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4148
    ICBM said:
    Thanks, all.  @ICBM ;- if the CE line only got birds (as guitargeek62 suggests) in the mid 2000s, wasn't that long after they dropped the rotary control?
    No... they are rare, but they do exist.

https://reverb.com/item/452059-paul-reed-smith-ce-22-1996-emerald-green
    Cool, happy to stand corrected! I don’t remember ever seeing them as an option that early - it was a big deal over on the (now-defunct) Birds and Moons forum when they were finally added in the 00’s
  • JamieWakehamJamieWakeham Frets: 39
    edited July 2020
    It does suggest I might be waiting quite a long time for a CE with both rotary control and birds, though...

I wonder if either of you know if a hardtail rotary CE22 with birds exists?  Or were the early CE22s all trem?
    Cool, happy to stand corrected! I don’t remember ever seeing them as an option that early - it was a big deal over on the (now-defunct) Birds and Moons forum when they were finally added in the 00’s
    I think there may have been a time when they weren’t an option.

Personally I’m totally happy with that ;).

• gazrichardsgazrichards Frets: 691
    I was u dear the impression that the hardtail was the rarity. 
    Mine is a 96 cu22
    hardtail, rotary and dots
    id consider selling the rotary control as I’m thinking of going to 3 way toggle 
  • @gazrichards ; if I end up buying something with a blade switch that I want to convert to rotary, I'll give you a call!

I don't know quite why I'm so keen on them - the cutout slot just doesn't look right to me on a PRS, mounted as it is straight onto the wood (rather than onto a scratchplate).