Speaker cone rubbing... I've asked this before, but has anyone been able to fix this?

brooombrooom Frets: 1175
I've got a weber 10A125 10" alnico speaker which I just pulled out of my Clark Tyger as it was creating a distorting at very low levels. It seems to have cone rub, from pressing it in from the front. Although I've replaced it with an excellent sounding eminence GA10-SC64, it pains me to through away what is an otherwise excellent sounding speaker.

Is there any way to sort this out?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1633
    I used to fix offcentre cones in telly speakers with the handle of a big screwdiver! Bashed the magnet a bit till it centered up. Didn't always work but sometimes got me out of a hole if I did not have a spare on the car. Another dodge is a bit of plastic foam twixt chassis and cone.  But all nasty kludges of course. There is a guitar shop near me that does recones. Cannot think of the name but in Earls Barton. (Nr Wellingborough)

Dave.
  • BenSirAmosBenSirAmos Frets: 411
    Have you got a price for fixing it from Wembley Loudspeakers?
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    Thanks guys, I'll look into those options.
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    Depends what is causing the rub. Sometimes it can be fixed, sometimes it can't.

If you are going to attempt a repair yourself, the first thing to do is remove the dustcap. From there you might be able to see what is causing the problem. Eg if the coil is out of alignment or if it is warped out of shape, or if there is gunk and debris in the coil gap.

If you think it is just dirt in there you can attempt to clean it. There are various methods for that - play through the speaker at volume and try to blast it out. Using sticky tape to pick up bits of debris that come out. Or a combination of sticky tape and blasting compressed air into it.

A  more intrusive repair is to remove the whole cone and give it a really thorough internal clean. Then reglue it back together shimming the voice coil in place. Not an easy job to do, and not guaranteed success.

Always worth attempting a repair first if you are thinking about reconing it anyway.
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    is it possible the dust cap without cutting it open?
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    I've never tried it on a weber, but possibly not. Modern glues are a bitch when you want to remove them. You could try softening the glue with some acetone, but you can stain the cone doing that.