Have you been playing more acoustic?

What's Hot
Since lockdown, I've barely played electric guitars and only plugged my amps in a  handful of times, maybe 4/5 times a month, if that, tops. The majority of the time in Lockdown has involved playing acoustic guitars. In fact, I've learned a more about acoustics in this short period of time than I did during my entire preceding playing time. In short, being locked in has either a) given me more time to play, b) meant quieter playing, more interest in acoustics. 

Judging by the activity on this subforum, it feels like the sentiment might be shared?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17607
    tFB Trader
    Nope, been playing loads more electric.

In the house during the day when the kids aren't asleep.

My office is also my music room so I can reach my Tele from my desk which makes it super tempting to have a quick rock out.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    I rarely play acoustic now, most of my guitar students are on electrics plus I've had my Kemper Profiler for a couple of months and still messing with different profiles and tones.

I think only 3 of my learners are acoustic so I don't really play it much.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3691
    I’m primarily an acoustic player but have been playing the electric with headphones mostly to keep the peace at home. Also having some fun messing with effects pedals. 
  • CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2045
    Got a new acoustic just before lockdown and still pick it up to play at every opportunity. 
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    yes
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Acoustic noodling seems more suited to these strange times.

(that's not me playing by the way) 
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4775
    Yes. Acoustic guitar is (for me) primarily a solo instrument and electric guitar is (for me) an ensemble one. I've not got any ensemble commitments to work towards, so...  I've been revisiting solo pieces and even some of my old classical repertoire from when I was very, very young. Actually thinking of buying a classical guitar again - my first for 40 years. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GrampaGrampa Frets: 947
    Yes, and I've found that being a relative beginner it's advanced my electric playing far quicker that before I ever picked one up.

I've also discovered a huge respect and admiration for good acoustic players as it's not nearly as easy to hide mistakes that are often camouflaged using an amplified electric on anything but a clean setting. 
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5261
    loadsmore
  • I think I've done more of both. I know for sure I've had more 'guitar time' than before though.

• Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Kilgore said:

Always chuffed to see the Great Daddystovepipe
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Nope - spent the year before the virus hit doing open mics, so was playing lots of acoustic stuff at home. Since March and having loads of free time, I recorded new songs so mostly electric guitar, bass & keyboard.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26987
    More electric here, if anything, but I've spent the last 2-3 years playing more acoustic anyway, so I've just reverted towards the mean a bit. 

Either way, I've played more drums than guitar.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • McSwaggertyMcSwaggerty Frets: 661
    Andy79 said:
    Kilgore said:

Always chuffed to see the Great Daddystovepipe
    Yep... Carl Bludts from Belgium. Great blues picker, great teacher.
    Most of what l know, started with him.
    Great Guy. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • brojanglesbrojangles Frets: 362
    edited July 2020
    Yes - I agree with the point above about electric guitar being an ensemble instrument. Plus you don't have to get your amp and pedalboard out and plug them in to play acoustic. I'm looking into getting a classical and learning some of the Bach cello suite bits because I reckon it would be great fun to play them. 
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
    Interesting, thanks for chiming in. There just seem to have been so many acoustic purchase threads lately that I assumed people might be playing more. 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    Little combo and HXfx remain out and ready all the time, but I probably open the acoustic case more often since I got the Atkin in January. That may have a bigger gbearing than the current 'situation'..
  • Plus another one for the electric/ensemble theory, and as I'm not in a band, I only play acoustic now.

Other than that, I've actually played mine less during lockdown, because since the lockdown the pub I used to go to for the singaround has (obviously) been shut, I've not got anything to target my practice for so I've been struggling to motivate myself to play much of anything at all, really.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9715
    I have had to play acoustic more because I had to play some songs for a festival that went online and that was the easiest way to do it.

I'm not sure about it being quieter than electric though, far from it. I'm a pretty quiet player and use finger picking rather than strumming, but it's way louder than my electric as I don't use an amp, I use studio monitor type speakers.
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • westfordwestford Frets: 580
    I got one of those Vox mini 5 rhythm amps at the start of lockdown and have had fun messing around with it, so I’ve played my electric guitar more than usual. Still play acoustic more overall though.