Repair - Gibson headstock fix

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16736
    This is one of those situations where an invisible repair isn't always possible, but there was a difference in wood colours fighting against me.   Grain was nicely matched, but the new (old stock) wood was i added was practically glowing next to the Gibson wood.

anyway, half expected to have to add a darker tint to the repair area, and that's what I had to go with.   it looks quite natural in real life, but as soon as i take a pic it looks black.  rest assured its not as dark as it looks - still very much cherry and translucent.  

But i'm happy with this.  it looks good and feels strong.  

0reaction image LOL 13reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    edited August 2020
    That looks fine. It is what it is... a repaired Gibson. Not as if that's at all unusual!

Most importantly, it looks like it will stay that way .

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    yeah, i am happy with it... just aware those pics make it look like a black burst neck... it is a bit more subtle than that :D 

you can see its still translucent  where the join is between the E string tuners
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3987
    I am not expert but very impressed.

I’d be very happy with that outcome as a customer.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22997

Looks great to me!  You can see how much care has gone into the work, unlike all those terrible bodge repairs we see pictures of.

And very informative, I knew about repairs using splints but I'd never heard of a back strap repair before.

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Looks great to me, too!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2696
    Impressive work. What does a repair like that cost, if you don’t mind sharing publicly?
    Impressive work. What does a repair like that cost, if you don’t mind sharing publicly?
    Probably not fair for me to share publicly as I don't do this as a regular day job, I tend to charge on a sliding scale of how well I know you and how much I will enjoy the job ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1973
    That looks great. You obviously know what you're doing. If I ever snap the headstock off either of mine I'll be giving you a bell. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    Thats amazing, good job!
  • Looking good. Would be well happy if that was mine. 
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1973
    Gibson should design an airbag system built into the headstocks of their guitars for clumsy chumps. Can't be any worse than some of the other mad ideas they thought would wash.  

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2696
    WezV said:
    Probably not fair for me to share publicly as I don't do this as a regular day job, I tend to charge on a sliding scale of how well I know you and how much I will enjoy the job ;)
    Completely understandable:) thanks for replying anyway. Good to see another guitar brought back to life, and not as a bodge.