Reshaping Epiphone headstock without doing the obvious

What's Hot
I've nearly finished my repair to an Epiphone Les Paul. As it's not going to have any resale value at all, I figured I might as well try to do something about that ugly headstock, but I'm not interested in trying to make it look like a Gibson. 

The face is snapped, so I might as well put a laminate with my own design on the front. Has anyone done similar? Any tips? Am I going to have to completely remove the poly first? 

I'm particularly interested in any outlines that look decent, but aren't trying to be Gibson that won't involve me having to add wood.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    edited July 2020
    Do a Martin, should be very simple.   -------
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Reshape it to a PRS silhouette, really mess with peoples brains 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I did a sort of reverse prs headstock on one I put together..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    I thought about doing something a bit like a PRS design with a straight line of travel for the strings, but that would involve filling and redrilling the holes for the tuners. I'm a bit uncomfortable with that.
  • MattNovakMattNovak Frets: 907
    Try a Zemaitis LP style? There should be enough wood on the Epi...
    www.theflyingacesband.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    MattNovak said:
    Try a Zemaitis LP style? There should be enough wood on the Epi...
    That’s a cool idea 
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4159
    Just do a gibson-ish one ,it’s not like you’re gonna put a water slide gibson decal on it or anything 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Best best is to try different shapes cut out of paper and laid on top of your current head, until you find one you like, take a photo, it seems to help...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    paulnb57 said:
    Best best is to try different shapes cut out of paper and laid on top of your current head, until you find one you like, take a photo, it seems to help...
    That's actually what I mean - does anyone have a template?
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    Be interested to see what you end up doing, please post it when it's done! The old ones seem to go for stupidly cheap now so I'm tempted to get one to mess around with but I'm not a fan of that headstock shape on a Les Paul.
    It'll be a while, I think. The first thing I need to do is work out how to refinish the back of the neck where I put the splines in. I have a feeling I'll be best served doing it all at the same time.