Yet another ‘what car?’ thread ... Now NCD!!

What's Hot

Comments

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    Do some reading about the WRX before you buy one, £6k will get you anything from a bug eye to a hatch, there are significant differences and a variety of special editions. Some people reckon the earlier 2.0 is more reliable than some of the later 2.5, which can spin bearings by 60k miles if not well looked after. 

Performance bargain though, and very practical due to being a 4/5 door.

If you're in the outback I'd be happier with the 4wd Subaru than a Mini
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cm01cm01 Frets: 452
    Snap said:
    @cm01 my choice would be the Mini, second the Subaru.
    I think this is the way I’m going to go ... my 1st gen Cooper S was so much fun to drive 
    If you're in the outback I'd be happier with the 4wd Subaru than a Mini
    I’m on the Coast with some lovely coastal and hinterland drives, so I think the Mini is the way to go 
    edited July 2020
    There’s a late rival to the Mini ...

I know they’re quite Marmite, but I like the look of them and the turbo engined version is quite nippy ... and for my budget I can get a younger, lower mileage car than if I get a Mini ... any Juke owners on here? 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    edited July 2020
    Hattigol said:
    Cooper S - great fun. The SD is cracking performance and economy.

Countryman - the only Mini that definitely isn't fun to drive. Rotten, lumbering things.

Focus - buy this if you are 17 and have acne.

BMW 1 Series - buy this if you like cars with desperately drab and outdated interiors.

Audi TT - buy this if you are female/cabin crew.

A3/4 - not bad.

Outdated???? The OP is buying a used car that's going to be a few years old.

Therefore ALL the interiors are going to be "outdated", but of all suggestions, it's likely that the BMW will have stood up to wear 'n' tear better than the others.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    I had a Juke for a while as a courtesy car. By far and away one of the biggest heaps of crap I've driven. And I've owned a Lada.

In every single way the Juke was truly terrible. Really uncomfortable as well. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7038
    tFB Trader
    Snap said:
    I had a Juke for a while as a courtesy car. By far and away one of the biggest heaps of crap I've driven. And I've owned a Lada.

Same here. The worst car I've ever driven including a Dacia. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    I truly don't understand the Nissan Joke - it's the size of a bus on the outside and the size of a pram on the inside... presumably it's some sort of obtuse humour that I don't get.

You also might think that with such a small body and a large footprint, it would be very stable - but you'd be wrong. Someone drove one into the back of my friend's wife's parked Fiat 500 - which sadly was a write-off as well - and the Joke overturned.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Snap said:

Same here. The worst car I've ever driven including a Dacia. 
    I've tried one. As someone who owned a really cheap Kia, often drives a Seat Mii and who drives a Fiat Ducato most weeks my standards aren't high. I've had two Almeras and a Micra so have liked Nissans. But the Juke just had the worst use of interior space and, in my brief experience, terrible to drive. 
    Dacia seem a bit basic but okay, absolutely everywhere in France where car culture tends to be about something that gets you from A to B whilst carrying a goat.  
    The last courtesy car I had was a Honda Jazz. I've never driven a car with so many gadgets but had panels that flexed in an unnerving way. It was like driving a games console on the M5. Anyway, I digress...

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4646
    JerkMoans said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    crunchman said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Get an MX5

an MX5

Don't forget now......

Mazda....

MX5

not 6

not 4

Mazda MX5

Why didn't you take your own advice?
    I was taking the mick - everyone was telling me to get one before.  They're cute enough but you can't fill one up with gig gear and they rust like hell.
    My Fiat 124 is essentially an MX5 with a different body and I can get a Princeton Reverb and a Les Paul in a hard case in, no problem.

cant take any passengers, mind you, but who wants company when there’s rock n roll?
    You may want to bring a groupie home.
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4646
    Snap said:

A Lads is based on an old Fiat 124 (not the spider). Funny I learnt to drive a Lads now own a 124 spider.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27105
    I had a rental Juke for a week. Utterly horrible. Barely nicer than my old 98 Corsa inside and about the same internal space, but the size of a Golf outside and shit to drive as well. Highly unrecommended!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • randellarandella Frets: 4178
    edited July 2020
    I'll have to add to the general Juke pile-on.  I had one for a couple of months as a courtesy car and it was fairly nasty.  Uncomfortable to sit in, numb to drive, with an odd combination of wallowy handling and hard, jiggly ride.  Notchy gearchange, no feel to any of the other controls.  On the plus side it resolutely refused to dip below 40mpg, but that was the only appealing upside of the otherwise wheezy, unrefined engine.

The bog-standard Fiesta I'd hired the year before absolutely kicked it into touch in every way.  They felt like cars from two different eras.

Some mention of the Dacia Duster above - I liked the one I drove very much, in a no-nonsense tool-for-the-job way.
    Mini Cooper S it is then!!! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4928
    zedhex said:
    If you want to have fun round corners, get the BMW. It's the only one on your list that has rearwheel drive. Front wheel drive is for grocery getters only.
    Minis are great round corners

The BMW Mini?
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4705
    zedhex said:
    zedhex said:
    Powering out of a decent corner with the rear wheels just on the edge of grip is a feeling like no other - and you cannot get that from front wheel drive. 
    With respect (and maybe I'm an old guy) you shoudln't be driving at (or near) the limit of traction on public roads.
    Generally speaking, I agree with you - but there are times when you're on a completely open road with no traffic and good visibility where it's possible to have a little fun without endangering anyone. For the real fun stuff though, you have to do track days, or even some proper racing. Regarding age, I'm 59, and I've been driving high-powered motorcycles and cars for 30+ years - I do know what I'm doing.
    My brother has an M135i, mapped to 370bhp, rear wear drive.

His son has a Fiesta ST.

The most fun to drive Is the Fiesta.  The BM isn’t engaging. It’s fast and refined but it’s just not that kind of rwd fun.  MX5 with shit tyres would be better.

But the fiesta is just more fun and begs to be thrown round corners.  He’s looking at Mk8 ST’s and Mini JCW’s now to get the fun factor back.
    edited July 2020
    I hadn’t considered a Fiesta ST - from the quick look I’ve just had, they’ve got great reviews ... I’ve also just spotted a lovely low mileage Mini JCW that’s in budget.... hmmmmm 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4705
    cm01 said:
    I hadn’t considered a Fiesta ST - from the quick look I’ve just had, they’ve got great reviews ... I’ve also just spotted a lovely low mileage Mini JCW that’s in budget.... hmmmmm 
    The Fiesta ST’s are great but not the comfiest.  Very hard suspension and unforgiving ride.  Something to think about.  

I have the Focus btw, that’s a bit less go-karty and a bit of a nicer cabin.  
    Yeah, spotted a few Focus ST’s and Focus Sports that look great - need to test drive a few cars I think 
  • randellarandella Frets: 4178
    cm01 said:
    Yep, I think either of those would be a much better steer than the Nissan :). I’ve had a bit of time blasting around in a Cooper S - found the ride a little harsh but you could easily forgive it once in the bends. It was bloody quick as well.

The standard Fiesta was great. Even though the little three-pot Ecoboost punched well above its weight you still felt it was a very good car, and would be an utter hoot with another 50 horsepower.

The Juke remains the only motor I’ve driven in a long time that I thought could only be improved by swapping it for another car entirely.