PRS DGT versus DGT Standard

What's Hot

Any views on the relative merits of a PRS DGT with a maple top... and the PRS DGT Standard that has an all mahogany body?  How would you characterise the differences in tone, weight etc?

I assume both models have the same specs apart from the maple cap.  Is that correct?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17664
    tFB Trader
    It has a few minor changes like V12 finish and partial coil splits though I think the newer DGT Custom might have those as well. 

Maple is going to make it sound a bit brighter and more like a Les Paul where as a solid Mohog will be darker and more SG like.

This review sums it up: http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/prs-dgt-standard-561338
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Monquixote... thanks for the info and for the link.  Very useful info.

Out of interest.. if you could have just one... which would you have... with maple or without?

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Maple top
    tFB Trader

Monquixote... thanks for the info and for the link.  Very useful info.

Out of interest.. if you could have just one... which would you have... with maple or without?

I have a maple topped one which is my preference.

I use a lot of single coil sounds and the additional brightness of maple makes them cut a bit more. I find all mohog guitars often don't tap all that well. I haven't tried a standard though so I might be talking out of my arse. 
    The aqua one they did looked lush. 
  • Thanks Mr M... never considered how mahogany affects coil taps.  Have another Wisdom :)>-
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72574
    I haven't played a DGT Standard but for a long time I owned a Custom 22 and a Standard 22, both with trems, same pickups, same inlays, even the same colour... basically identical apart from the maple cap.

The Standard was heavier-sounding, more resonant, deeper and darker, and had a softer note attack. The Custom was more aggressive, focused, brighter and snappier, and with 'faster' note attack. The Standard was better clean and for crunch, the Custom better for lead - although they were close enough that one was a backup for the other, they still had a different enough sound and character that they changed the way I played them, if that makes sense.

Eventually I didn't need both, so I sold one.

I still have the Standard.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I am torn between a Dgt and a 408
    tFB Trader
    I am torn between a Dgt and a 408
    Much as I love my DGT I do think the controls are more intuitive on the 408. 

Never played one mind.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I'd prefer the 3 way toggle on Paul's guitar to the switch on the 408. The big attraction to me of the dgt is the separate volume controls.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11469
    I've not played a DGT Standard but I think all mahogany PRS sound better.
  • Hmmm... not even considered a 408... but that looks interesting too.

Re. mahogany versus maple capped mahogany.... best solution would be to buy both!!  But that's never gonna happen here.  Guess I need to hunt a few down and try them out.  However, all your comments have been a great help - and should mean I'm starting from a better informed position when I do get to audition a few of the guitars.

Thank you for your help.

• theres a couple of nice mahogany 408 PRS's on thomann for around £1600 new
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I have a heavy bodied (8 & 1/2 pounds) Custom 22 it sounds amazing. I had it fitted with Jumbo frets. It sounds very similar to a DGT. There’s more girth and low end. 
  • At the recent tFB Huddersfield Jam I played While My Guitar Gently Weeps with @vasselmeyer - who has an all mahogany DGT - I have a maple/mahogany one.

We were playing through different amps - but the impression I got was that the all mahogany version is warmer in the mids - while the maple cap version is brighter with a deeper low end.

Both sounded really good....
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14353
    tFB Trader
    At the recent tFB Huddersfield Jam I played While My Guitar Gently Weeps with @vasselmeyer - who has an all mahogany DGT - I have a maple/mahogany one.

We were playing through different amps - but the impression I got was that the all mahogany version is warmer in the mids - while the maple cap version is brighter with a deeper low end.

Both sounded really good....
    I've sold both in the past - Recall not a lot of difference in the weight dept  - any variation between a Std and a Maple top version will be effectively the same as between 2 x Std models or 2 x Maple Top models

If I recall there was more 'grunt' or growl in the mahogany version - Maybe tighter and more focused - And yes more bright with deep lows on the maple top version

Otherwise identical spec regarding neck profile, frets, hardware etc
  • When I bought that guitar perhaps four years ago, I didn't know what model it was. I played more than half of the PRS guitars in @guitars4you shop and just chose the one that felt and sounded the best. My only caveat when buying was "no bling" because I thought would be worried about dings and scratches all the time.

It gets gigged at least once per week and it's definitely "roadworn" now with chips out of the headstock and on the edges of the body. I still love the sound of it, especially the "single coil" approximation. The only thing I would change is to have a hardtail version as I'm not a vibrato user. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11469
    When I bought that guitar perhaps four years ago, I didn't know what model it was. I played more than half of the PRS guitars in @guitars4you shop and just chose the one that felt and sounded the best. My only caveat when buying was "no bling" because I thought would be worried about dings and scratches all the time.

It gets gigged at least once per week and it's definitely "roadworn" now with chips out of the headstock and on the edges of the body. I still love the sound of it, especially the "single coil" approximation. The only thing I would change is to have a hardtail version as I'm not a vibrato user. 
    A hardtail wouldn't sound the same.  The way the trem springs vibrate and interact with the strings via the trem block is part of the sound.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14353
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:
    When I bought that guitar perhaps four years ago, I didn't know what model it was. I played more than half of the PRS guitars in @guitars4you shop and just chose the one that felt and sounded the best. My only caveat when buying was "no bling" because I thought would be worried about dings and scratches all the time.

A hardtail wouldn't sound the same.  The way the trem springs vibrate and interact with the strings via the trem block is part of the sound.
    and doesn't the T in DGT mean trem ? - I think so anyway

Better just putting a wood block between the trem block and the body to prevent any movement - if required
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7543
    Adam_MD said:
    I'd prefer the 3 way toggle on Paul's guitar to the switch on the 408. The big attraction to me of the dgt is the separate volume controls.
    The volume control thing is a biggie
    If you've spent years with LP/335 style wiring you (well I did) come to rely on it for how you play live - I switch pickups all the time
    And set them At different volumes in different songs. I Loved my McCarty lots but that one volume control bugged me.
    Red ones are better.