Garageband for iPad: Thoughts? Advice?

What's Hot
I recently moved away from a PC Based DAW (Ableton live) to an iPad with Garageband.

Despite all the doubts I'm mightily impressed!

Anyone else use it? Any tips? Drawbacks?

I've posted a full review here: https://adamharkus.com/garageband-ipad-review/
The Blogging Musician ;https://adamharkus.com/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• westfordwestford Frets: 581
    I use it, but judging by your review you’ve done more with it than me. I mostly record acoustic guitar and vocals with a drum track, so haven’t explored a lot of features. I’ve never used other DAWs, so I don’t know how it compares.

I agree with you about the file system being clunky. First time I used it, I wanted to export my song as an MP3. Should be easy, right? Lol.

It is pretty straightforward and you can just jump in and start making music with it, but some features are hidden away/not intuitive. Took me ages to find the EQ settings and I recently told a friend who’s been using it for years how to do something new (that I’d discovered by accident).
  • Bill_SBill_S Frets: 102
    I love GB for sketching out ideas. Actually, that does it a huge disservice, because it is definitely capable of producing excellent results. The Alchemy Synth is jaw dropping brilliant, and in fact I have used it via a Y cable to record a stereo input into my desktop DAW. It stands up against the very best like the pricey Omnisphere, if you don’t need all the tweakability.

The other thing about GB on an iPad is that it is so much fun! 

Oh, and Drummer is also astounding, and there’s nothing like it in the PC desktop world. 
  • Bill_S said:
    I love GB for sketching out ideas. Actually, that does it a huge disservice, because it is definitely capable of producing excellent results. The Alchemy Synth is jaw dropping brilliant, and in fact I have used it via a Y cable to record a stereo input into my desktop DAW. It stands up against the very best like the pricey Omnisphere, if you don’t need all the tweakability.

The other thing about GB on an iPad is that it is so much fun! 

Oh, and Drummer is also astounding, and there’s nothing like it in the PC desktop world. 
    Absolutely. I just wish their was an equivalent PC / Android product. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27133
    I really need to learn to use this. 

What’s best for plugging mics & guitars in? I currently only have an Apogee Jam with 1 input and the old-fashioned Apple cable...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4801
    I use it on iPadOS for at least 80% of my recording. I use Multitrack DAW for a bit of field & kitchen table recording on my iPhone and Logic on macOS for the rest. I don't use Garageband on macOS. 

It's great. Some of the features that seem idiosyncratic are just doing things in a different way, that's all. I'm OK with getting around the file system because I don't treat it like a Windows PC or expect it to behave like one. I use iCloud for managing my files and folders, and GB just fits in. Of course, because my laptop is a Mac, that integrates better.

Wish List? Logic has something called an Arrangement track. I'd like the sections in GB to be a bit more like that. I'd like to be able to name my sections and move them around easily. I'd also like to be able to insert a new section between a couple of existing ones. 

And another plug from me for the YouTube channel of Dan Baker. He has really done a lot with GB on an iPad and I find his tutorials quite inspiring.
  • I use it on iPadOS for at least 80% of my recording. I use Multitrack DAW for a bit of field & kitchen table recording on my iPhone and Logic on macOS for the rest. I don't use Garageband on macOS. 

It's great. Some of the features that seem idiosyncratic are just doing things in a different way, that's all. I'm OK with getting around the file system because I don't treat it like a Windows PC or expect it to behave like one. I use iCloud for managing my files and folders, and GB just fits in. Of course, because my laptop is a Mac, that integrates better.

Wish List? Logic has something called an Arrangement track. I'd like the sections in GB to be a bit more like that. I'd like to be able to name my sections and move them around easily. I'd also like to be able to insert a new section between a couple of existing ones. 

And another plug from me for the YouTube channel of Dan Baker. He has really done a lot with GB on an iPad and I find his tutorials quite inspiring.
    Yeah Dan's great got some great tips. Icloud is OK but 5 Gig is nowhere near enough space.
    I really need to learn to use this. 

What’s best for plugging mics & guitars in? I currently only have an Apogee Jam with 1 input and the old-fashioned Apple cable...
    I have used a Presonus Audiobox iTwo for a few years now. It's cheap and is better than I am. Two input channels with combi sockets, preamps and an instrument switch for when you plug in a guitar. Delivers 48v phantom power. Connects to my iPad using the Lightning cable or to a computer using USB. Has a main output (to monitors) and a headphones output. When monitoring your recording, you can blend the direct sound going in to the DAW with the tracks already recorded if you wish. No need for an Apple Camera/USB kit to let you use a USB cable. when connects to a computer, it gets power over USB. When connected to the iPad, it gets power from the iPad charger (and the iPad runs on battery power). 

I've also used a Headrush Gigboard as the audio interface to my iPad. That does need the USB connector kit to the iPad, but it works as well as it does into a normal USB-interface and computer. I expect a Helix would work, too, in the same way. 

<snip>
    Yeah Dan's great got some great tips. Icloud is OK but 5 Gig is nowhere near enough space.
    Agreed, but 50GB is only 79p/month and that's plenty for my needs.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I would HATE to use an iPad for music. I don't like it having no USB port and I don't like an interface that hides everything away from you. MacbookPro for me, love it very much!

• axisus said:
    I would HATE to use an iPad for music. I don't like it having no USB port and I don't like an interface that hides everything away from you. MacbookPro for me, love it very much!

For me the touch screen and portability make it unique. Its the ultimate plug and play device.
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 607
    A girl i know wrote and produced this track entirely in Garageband so it's certainly capable of great things! 

I've done a lot of work with kids on garageband as well and it's really good for helping them to think outside the box and be creative without being held back by any limits on their instrument. Even kids who don't play any instrument can pick it up quickly and their progress in understanding and ability is much faster than it would be on a traditional instrument.
  • I’m using it but need to learn more, such as how to vary the drums between different sections etc 
  • I really need to learn to use this. 

For me I use the Rode Videomic for vox/acoustic and the TC Helicon Go Guitar for electric guitar. Both use the Headphone input directly, total cost around £70.

The videomic drastically cuts down the noise of the internal mics and the Go guitar gives acceptable latency.

Of course there are many other ways, USB interfaces, 'real' mics etc. And it's all possible with the iPad, just depends on your budget and expectations.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    hassleham said:
    A girl i know wrote and produced this track entirely in Garageband so it's certainly capable of great things! 

I've done a lot of work with kids on garageband as well and it's really good for helping them to think outside the box and be creative without being held back by any limits on their instrument. Even kids who don't play any instrument can pick it up quickly and their progress in understanding and ability is much faster than it would be on a traditional instrument.
    That is excellent.
    With a proper drum arrangement that would be release quality.
  • hassleham said:

Beautiful song. Garageband would easily be able to handle a more involved drum arrangement too. Thats the beauty of it though, its an excellent sketchpad plus you can hone a detailed arrangement too.
  • I use it mainly for synth stuff and like it a lot, but the lack of midi is a pain.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Found it uncomfortable to be honest. Much prefer pro tools
  • kinkin Frets: 1015
    @MagicPigDetective Doug Woods has a utube channel called the sound test room, if i remember rightly he did an hour or so just on how to vary sections using drummer.

I would also suggest the Audiobus forum to any of you unfamiliar with it for lots of tips on iOS stuff.

If you like to get experimental i would wholeheartedly recommend MiRack , its essentially a number of VCV rack modules ported over to IOS for peanuts or Midi guitar 2 to let you control synths etc for something like £20.

• Bill_SBill_S Frets: 102
    GB for iOS is quite different from desktop DAWs in some ways. If you are familiar with the latter, I would recommend looking at some training vids. I invested in the Groove 3 course which is comprehensive and gets you up and running quickly. 
    I use it mainly for synth stuff and like it a lot, but the lack of midi is a pain.
    @Hurling_Fruitmig Would you expand on that a little, please? Genuine thirst for understanding. I'm curious as to what you'd like to use MIDI for in this context.