A synthesizer sound/amplifier question.

What's Hot
KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18812
edited July 2020 in Other Instruments
I'm fine with guitars but keyboards are (relatively) a foreign country to me.
Having been given a free Roland D-5 synth, I'm wondering what is the best means of getting a sound out of it to see if I can be bothered with it at all ?
Should I ...
a) Use an existing guitar valve amp.
b) Use an existing guitar SS acoustic amp.
c) Use an existing spare stereo hifi amp.

None of the above?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited July 2020
    Active monitors? Synths are wide frequency instruments.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18812
    Freebird said:
    Active monitors?
    Yep,  a really good idea but as I don't currently have any, I'm restricted to the options outlined above  ;)
    edited July 2020
    Freebird said:
    Active monitors?
    Yep,  a really good idea but as I don't currently have any, I'm restricted to the options outlined above 
    Be careful that you don't blow your guitar amp then 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    edited July 2020
    C)
    It is a very mediocre synth though, imho.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2020
    octatonic said:
    C)
    What do you use? My cousin played keyboards professionally and I seem to remember him saying not to use guitar amps. I play mine through the line in on the audio interface.
    edited July 2020
    Freebird said:
    octatonic said:
    C)

What do you use? My cousin played keyboards professionally and I seem to remember him saying not to use guitar amps. I play mine through the line in on the audio interface.
    Me?
    I have Kii Threes.
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 721
    octatonic said:
    Freebird said:
    octatonic said:
    C)

Me?
    I have Kii Threes.
    Swaps for my iLouds?? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3655
    In order of preference c > b > a.  You are looking for something that has Full Range, Flat Response (FRFR).  A valve guitar amp is about as far away from this as you can get.

I'm wondering what is the best means of getting a sound out of it to see if I can be bothered with it at all ?
    Headphones?

I'm pretty sure that I had a D10 (it's so long ago that I had to Google an image of it to jog my memory).  If you are new to keyboards then it would get you started as you'll be able to select pre-sets and it has full size keys.  The valuation, i.e. free, is correct.

• paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 846
    edited July 2020
    In order .C and only C......

As for valuation.    Hum.   I pay a little for one, but only because the keybed is actually quite nice (all the D series were actually).   Its a nice enough board to drive VST synths from, and the core synth sounds are OK for a start.

brucegill said:
    octatonic said:
    Freebird said:
    octatonic said:
    C)

Me?
    I have Kii Threes.
    Swaps for my iLouds?? 
    Let me think about it...
    Thanks to everyone for the advice, I'll see how it goes.
    As to value, it effectively has none, as is the case with my old stereo amp (can't give them away), so if something goes 'pop' I'll not be overly bothered  ;)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14446
    Roland D-5 was a D-10 minus some of the time and modulation effects that were essential to sweetening the basic Linear Arithmetic synthesis sounds. Both instruments existed to placate customers who could not afford the flagship D-50, on whose reputation Roland was trading.

I suggest that you audition the D-5 via headphones. Some of the preset sounds are okay. Some are peculiar but interesting in the right context. Most were naff thirty years ago and have not improved with the passage of time. 

The best sound that a D-5 can make is the satisfying smash of plastic against lump hammer.

Programming is tedious and rarely rewarding. Unless you wish to experience the “joys” of painting the hallway through the letterbox, just clean the case of the D-5 and pass it on. 

Alternatively, if you feel enterprising, part the D-5 out. Sell it as spares on t’Interweb.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7164
    And here was me about to shout about my love of a D-50, thinking this was about a D-05. Im not familiar with a D-5. Bin it, buy a D-50 - they still sound bloody wonderful if you use them tastefully. 
    ^ Slight flaw in your argument, you used the word 'buy'...  ;)
    edited July 2020
    I've got a Roland Alpha Juno, but the TAL-U-NO-LX vst synth gets much more use.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14446
    Alpha Juno 1 is hamstrung by its short, non-velocity or aftertouch sensitive, keyboard. Alpha Juno 2 and MKS-50 are far more useful - especially with a programmer box in tow. 

I had a phase of attempting to recreate my old JU-2 sounds in Spectrasonics Omnisphere. I need to unearth the stored sounds and my old patch parameter notes.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72406

Should I ...
    a) Use an existing guitar valve amp.
    b) Use an existing guitar SS acoustic amp.
    c) Use an existing spare stereo hifi amp.
    a) will probably sound shit unless you only want to be Jon Lord :).

b) will probably sound OK, but be *very* careful with levels - acoustic amps and their speakers aren't designed for the frequency range and average power of a keyboard signal.

c) will sound the best, and the amp will be fine, but you will also need fairly beefy speakers - hi-fi ones might also be at risk unless they're rated for a lot more power than you're going to use.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Use headphones, DI or PA.

My experience of the D5 and D10 is that they are just 'not quite there' and are a pain to program (and I used to own a DX7!). As an introduction to synthesis I don't think they are particularly inspiring.
    As someone said though, they are nice enough keyboards for controlling VSTs etc. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom