Advice sought - repairing case latch

What's Hot
Wonder if I might pick the brains of all the clever folks on here.  

Acquired the Holy Grail of Rickenbacker accessories, in the form of a case that didn't require a second mortgage.  The trade off, besides a little area of damage, is that it has a broken latch.  'How hard can it be to find and fit a replacement?', I asked myself.  'Very' howled the Internet in sardonic response to my petty hubris.

As I disconsolately prowl eBay and Google, anyone know where a replacement may be obtained?  My plan then is either (a) to try to replace myself with the aid of a couple of videos I found, or (b) to hock it into the local shoe and luggage repair chap to see if he can do it.

Pictures! First, the working one, then its broken companion.

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3230
    Surely that’s just a generic part used by multiple cases across the industry (despite the usual rickenbacker determination to use only weird unique parts that cost a small fortune)? 

Lovely looking case btw, I was looking at it myself and trying to work out if I had the required skill. 
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Surely that’s just a generic part used by multiple cases across the industry (despite the usual rickenbacker determination to use only weird unique parts that cost a small fortune)? 

Lovely looking case btw, I was looking at it myself and trying to work out if I had the required skill. 
    I'm sure it is, but finding a spare is proving elusive thus far...  The Quest continueth!

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72506
    The easiest way to fix that is to cut the pivot pin and replace just the moving part - then replace the pin with a small bolt & nut, or similar. Undoing the rivetting to replace the whole catch is a right pain.

Unfortunately I don't have any of the right parts... I checked :(.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    The easiest way to fix that is to cut the pivot pin and replace just the moving part - then replace the pin with a small bolt & nut, or similar. Undoing the rivetting to replace the whole catch is a right pain.

Unfortunately I don't have any of the right parts... I checked :(.
    Thanks for the advice - you are of course entirely correct, as against the internal sabotage required to dick about with the rivets/install new ones.  And thanks for looking for the part.  Surely these things can't be that obscure..?
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72506
    JerkMoans said:

Surely these things can't be that obscure..?
    Have a look for an old brown 'leather' (often cardboard!) suitcase - some of these have identical latches, or at least the top part - and although antiques dealers charge silly money for nice ones, you can often find wrecked ones, especially the cardboard variety, for next to nothing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18890
    Ooh, I love a challenge.
    You might try this company  http://www.eyland.co.uk/locks.htm
    Their website is shite ermmm...basic, but according to the information, they bought out Cheney, including the staff!
    If you go to Downloads, select the 'Buckles' pdf & scoot to the bottom of the page where the Cheney stuff is, you might just see a hasp at the top centre that looks promising.
    I have no idea of costs, suitability, or if you will have to purchase 1,000's of any given item, but it looks interesting 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Ooh, I love a challenge.
    You might try this company  http://www.eyland.co.uk/locks.htm
    Their website is shite ermmm...basic, but according to the information, they bought out Cheney, including the staff!
    If you go to Downloads, select the 'Buckles' pdf & scoot to the bottom of the page where the Cheney stuff is, you might just see a hasp at the top centre that looks promising.
    I have no idea of costs, suitability, or if you will have to purchase 1,000's of any given item, but it looks interesting 
    Thanks!  That website looks likesomehting from the Dawn of Time, but I think I may just email our chums at Eyland.  Assuming they have email of course :bleep_bloop: 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mooncatmooncat Frets: 112
    jwhite-guitarworkshops.co.uk sell those latches, there listed under guitar case parts.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    mooncat said:
    jwhite-guitarworkshops.co.uk sell those latches, there listed under guitar case parts.

Oooh oooh ooooh.  Thank you!
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7182
    Or email G&G directly. They seem really pro-active on social media - I’ve always found them
    quite chatty on Instagram; they’ll probably be able to sort you out. 

Also, you shit. I was hovering :D
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Or email G&G directly. They seem really pro-active on social media - I’ve always found them

On balance, lol'd: you snooze, you lose in the crazy madcap world of used Ric case snafflement :naughty: 

And, thanks for the suggestion re G&G :heart: 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18890
    JerkMoans said:

On balance, lol'd: you snooze, you lose in the crazy madcap world of used Ric case snafflement :naughty: 

And, thanks for the suggestion re G&G :heart: 
    Nice of you two to kiss & make up  ;)

I hadn't realised the case was a G&G.
    I did a search on ' g&g guitar case latches' & unearthed a mountain of owners with exactly the same issue  :#

This site has a possible fitting fix (last comment)  https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269113