What Mic is this?

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    edited July 2020
    Shure Green Bullet.

No, it isn't modulating his voice.
    These are harmonica mics first and foremost.
    The standard way to use them is into a guitar amp, which distorts the signal- it sounds like that is what he is doing there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3511
    octatonic said:
    Shure Green Bullet.

The standard way to use them is into a guitar amp, which distorts the signal- it sounds like that is what he is doing there.
    Cool, thank you. As far as mics go they dont seem too expensive either, 
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    robgilmo said:
    octatonic said:
    Shure Green Bullet.

Most welcome.
    They aren't, but the audio performance isn't amazing- they have one sound, which is a good sound in some situations.
    I'd suggest about 20 different mics before it though for general use but if you want that sound then it will do it.
    octatonic said:
    robgilmo said:
    octatonic said:
    Shure Green Bullet.

Most welcome.
    They aren't, but the audio performance isn't amazing- they have one sound, which is a good sound in some situations.
    I'd suggest about 20 different mics before it though for general use but if you want that sound then it will do it.
    Thanks man, I was just wondering how they did the volcals like that, not every song would sound right, cant imagine Wish You Were Here through one! although, ....... Someone has to!
    robgilmo said:
    octatonic said:
    robgilmo said:
    octatonic said:
    Shure Green Bullet.

Most welcome.
    Thanks man, I was just wondering how they did the volcals like that, not every song would sound right, cant imagine Wish You Were Here through one! although, ....... Someone has to!
    They are essential bits of kit to a mic locker- I have a couple of them, and a bunch of other fixed cable microphones, including a Telefunken from the 60's which is cool as fuck.
    They turn up cheap on eBay from time to time.
    I hardly ever use them though.

If you wanted to get that sound with a more general use microphone like a 57 if you want an "in the ballpark sound".
    Just put it on the front end of a Fender style amp, maybe with a TS on the front end.
    You need less gain than you think.

FWIW these didn't start as a harmonica mic- they were used for public address and with 2 way radios.
    octatonic said:
    robgilmo said:
    octatonic said:
    robgilmo said:
    octatonic said:
    Shure Green Bullet.

Most welcome.
    They are essential bits of kit to a mic locker- I have a couple of them, and a bunch of other fixed cable microphones, including a Telefunken from the 60's which is cool as fuck.

If you wanted to get that sound with a more general use microphone like a 57 if you want an "in the ballpark sound".
    Just put it on the front end of a Fender style amp, maybe with a TS on the front end.

FWIW these didn't start as a harmonica mic- they were used for public address and with 2 way radios.
    Cool, thankyou, in the ball park was never my thing, way out left field is though! I just love the vocals on this song, the more I hear it, the more I love it.
    robgilmo said:
    octatonic said:
    robgilmo said:
    octatonic said:
    robgilmo said:
    octatonic said:
    Shure Green Bullet.

Most welcome.

Cool, thankyou, in the ball park was never my thing, way out left field is though! I just love the vocals on this song, the more I hear it, the more I love it.
    You may be disappointed when you get the Green Bullet then, because I can hear a lot of processing on that vocal track.
    Compression and EQ up the wazoo.
    They don't exactly sound like that in the room.
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3685
    My mixer fx has a ‘radio voice’ and distortion patches that nail this effect with any old mic. 

Give it some dirt, compression and shelve off the top and bottom in the eq. using a DAW.