Please help me choose a half decent budget acoustic

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
edited July 2020 in Acoustics
hi guys I’m an electric player who’d like to get back into playing acoustic again. 
Move not got much knowledge and experience of acoustics , I had a seagull 12 string in the 90’s and more recently a 2nd hand takamine (briefly) so I don’t really know what’s out there. 
I won’t be gigging it , it’ll be for playing in the house for my own pleasure. 
As it’s just for fun and not a serious investment I’m looking to get someone budget , but it’d be nice to get something decent. My electric is a Gibson Les Paul custom .
I’ll be looking 2nd hand and I’m not sure of budget , but I paid around £250 for that takamine so I’m looking for the something good value rather than just “cheap” 

can anyone please point me in the right direction ?!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Sire aucostics look very good

Check the Andertons you tube videos with Mike dawes 

• WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    Speaking as a Takamine owner (in my avatar) I don't know why but Takamine's don't seem to hold their value as much as other brands. That means a 2nd hand Takamine could be better value than other brands, if you liked your previous Takamine.
  • Easy one. Yamaha 800 series. Great brand reputation, looks gorgeous and even has a solid top.

Spend the change from 250 on a few pints too.

I own the 850 which is double the price and has a mahagony top... here's my video review.

The Blogging Musician ;https://adamharkus.com/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 231
    I play electric and wanted a nice playing acoustic. Tried loads and in the end went for a 2nd hand Gibson as my main guitar was a les paul and a midtown.  Still have it 3 years later 
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    Whistler said:
    Speaking as a Takamine owner (in my avatar) I don't know why but Takamine's don't seem to hold their value as much as other brands. That means a 2nd hand Takamine could be better value than other brands, if you liked your previous Takamine.
    I just found a 2nd hand g series not far from me on gumtree for £150, I know nothing about the g series but that seems cheap !!
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    edited July 2020
    A used Seagull s6 maybe (around £300)

If looking new a Dowina Puella or Eastman PCH1 D. (both under £300)

If you want to push the boat out a bit an Eastman E1D (all solid) is £499.

There are also plenty of new and used budget Sigma models that would come in under £250.

You might want to consider size. Do you want a dreadnought or something smaller and possibly more comfortable for sofa noodling? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11895
    what's your budget?
    You can get used pro stuff over £1000, that will hold its value
    is that too much?

As with electrics there are the Far-eastern brands available below that, but I'd advise that (generally) acoustics are harder to build than solid body electrics
    Kilgore said:
    A used Seagull s6 maybe (around £300)

If looking new a Dowina Puella or Eastman PCH1 D. (both under £300)

If you want to push the boat out a bit an Eastman E1D (all solid) is £499.

There are also plenty of new and used budget Sigma models that would come in under £250.

You might want to consider size. Do you want a dreadnought or something smaller and possibly more comfortable for sofa noodling? 
    I’ve got no idea !!
  • these are a good buy at their discounted price - with hard case as well.

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/200127354823008--prs-se-ax20e

the PRS AE50 i had was imaculate and sounded great

https://www.guitarworld.com/gear/review-prs-guitars-se-angelus-ax20e-and-se-tonare-t40e
    Thanks , includes a hard case too !!
  • yes the one i had was exceptional. PRS SE range is usually highly regarded. 
  • My acoustic is a Simon and Patrick and I love it. They’re great quality and you can pick them up cheaply second hand. Definitely worth having on your list.
  • Seagull S6, but beware the neck is a bit wide/chunky if you're used to playing electrics all the time.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12359
    edited August 2020
    I bought a used guild westerly OM size electro acoustic last summer for £400, all solid, bone nut and saddle.  Sounds great even with me playing it.

https://i.imgur.com/9tN1IvV.jpg
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1937
    As @Kilgore ;said above Sigma guitars are pretty good for the money. I think they used to be part of Martin and the designs. In fact they look like the same designs, but now made in the far east. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9533
    munckee said:
    I bought a used guild westerly OM size electro acoustic last summer for £400, all solid, bone nut and saddle.  Sounds great even with me playing it.
    One of my mates has bought a Guild DS 240 (J45 style). 

I was blown away when I played it; a superb guitar at any money. Really shocked how good it was.

I've just sold my beloved Atkin The Forty Three, sadly out of financial necessity. If the funds can stretch, Id be very tempted to buy the Guild Ds 240 (£449 new)
    I’ve heard good things about guild acoustics too. 
    Some great suggestions added to the “to try “ list 
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325
    Tanglewood tw15-ns.  Tanglewoods in general are very good, and very easy to play. But this one is all solid, and plays and sounds wonderful.

I also have a Simon & Patrick think its the mini jumbo acoustic which is all solid and is very easy to play. 

Prior to that I had a Taylor 414.. Which although alot more expensive than either of the two above, did not play or sound as nice  imo.
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    edited August 2020 tFB Trader
    Eastman PCH range at £299 is worth a look - check out our stock at www.windmillguitars.com 
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
  • chotu495chotu495 Frets: 356
    Paul Davids tests budget acoustics....this week 

https://youtu.be/8jNKXvfI8Mo