Master serial/parallel switching?

Hi,

This is a question I've thought about before but never found the right answer from googling because people use the phrase to mean different things.

What I would like to do is have one (preferably push-pull) switch which switches between series and parallel wiring for both humbuckers. For clarity, I mean internal series/parallel (ie north/south magnets), not series/parallel as between the pickups themselves. Position 1 = both pups wired series, Position 2 = both pickups wired parallel.

Is this possible? If so, can someone please point me to the correct wiring diagram?

Many thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14511
    Series/parallel switching of the two coils of a pickup with 4-conductor + shield output cable uses both poles of a Double Pole Double Throw (DPDT) on/on switch.

Simultaneous switching of two pickups requires a 4PDT on/on switch. Push-pull pot switches are not available in this format.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 762
    Series/parallel switching of the two coils of a pickup with 4-conductor + shield output cable uses both poles of a Double Pole Double Throw (DPDT) on/on switch.

Simultaneous switching of two pickups requires a 4PDT on/on switch. Push-pull pot switches are not available in this format.
    As @Funkfingers says. The only options I can think of for a single switch are a 4pdt mini toggle switch, or a Fender S1 volume pot/switch which is also 4pdt. Given I don't know what type of guitar you intend to mod I'm not sure if any of these options are suitable. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14511
    It is faintly possible that a special MEC stacked modular pot could be ordered with the necessary configuration. i.e. 1 x Log taper rotary pot, 2 x DPDT on/on switches (ganged). Expect to pay €60.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Many thanks, both.

It was an idle thought based on the fact i have a guitar that currently has one master volume and two push-pull tone pots that i never use and was wondering if i could strip it back to just a master volume with push/pull ‘something’, and series/parallel appealed more than just split.

Its not to be!