Doing my own fret dressing

What's Hot
Hi,

I've been working up to this for a while now, but I finally think I'm ready to take the plunge and do my own fret dressing. I've watched multiple how-to videos and I feel I've learned enough not to completely mess it up, plus I've recently put a new (second hand) neck on my tele which I don't mind too much if I screw it up entirely as I still have the old one as a back up. 

What I'd like to know is what tools you think are absolutely essential, and which are more than I'll really need, given that I am unlikely to do this more than a handful of times in my lifetime. I'm currently thinking:
  • decent fret crowning file 
  • fret levelling block
  • fret rocker
  • notched straightedge
  • wire wool (0000)
Am I missing anything essential? I saw one guy saying to do it properly you also need to have a properly radiused sanding block after you've levelled - is that correct, or is that overkill for what I'm doing?

Also, I can get all of the above from crimson guitars - anyone have any views on their stuff?

Many thanks, in advance. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SargeSarge Frets: 2426
    MicroMesh sheets, I recommend a 9 grade pack from ebay, also a finishing polish like Maguires Ultimate Compound.
    A sharpie pen to mark the frets, everyone uses black but red is much easier to see for me. 
    The radius block isn't needed, just follow the existing radius with the leveling beam, letting the beam do the work. 

A fret end file would be a good idea to take any sharp burrs away after the crowning file action. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    I am new to fretwork too - but can recommend the crowning files from Chris Alsop guitars.   Mine has been great to use on my first few necks and it came with an assortment of abrasives, a fretboard protector and a cleaning block for the file too.  A fret rocker and a VERY flat levelling beam are essential. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462
    There are different ways of doing it.  When I went to Crimson they didn't use wire wool.  I don't think there is necessarily a right or wrong way.

The essentials are something flat to get them level, some kind of crowning file, a file to round the fret ends, some way of polishing them up at the end, and something to protect the fretboard while crowning - that could be tape.

I've got a 3 sided triangular crowning file rather than the concave ones that Chris Alsop sells.  Either one works.

The other thing that makes life a lot easier is a fret bending jig.  The aluminium ones on Ebay do the job for a lot less than the ones that the likes of Crimson and Stewmac sell.

Most of my tools are from Crimson.  They are good quality but their delivery can be very slow.
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    If you’re going as far as a refret then I can recommend the Elmer fret bending jig.  It’s sturdy and not too expensive.   
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1347
    edited July 2020
    For fret bending, I just built a jig with 6 skateboard bearings (£5 on ebay), 3 m8 bolts, nuts and washers (had them already) and a scrap of wood. Works a treat!

To level, I use the Wudtone string-on beam. Sometimes with the strings off. Removes the need for a notched straight edge as it comes with 3 small metal blocks to check straightness, good enough. You can also use an aluminium spirit level if it has a machined edge.

For fret dressing, I can echo the points above. I have a mixture of tools from Crimson and Guitars and Woods. Crimson stuff is good quality but G&W is cheaper. G&W are in Portugal but shipping is faster than Crimson's.

At Crimson, polishing is all sandpaper of various grits then a buffing wheel (makes the frets shine like chrome!). At home I use sandpaper then 0000 wire wool then a dremel with a polishing wheel. Brasso works ok to, but wouldn't recommend it on a maple board as it can get messy.

• Thanks for all the responses, very helpful indeed. I’ll check out those other shops for sure.