Fingerboard and bridge radii

What's Hot
For a fingerboard radius of 13.75” (350mm) 

Which bridge would you go with:
 a 12” (300mm) radius (steeper, higher G and D)
or
15.74” (400mm) radius (flatter, higher E Strings)

Are there practical considerations that would make you prefer one over the other?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3886
    I'm not an expert on this, but I asked a similar question recently and the consensus seemed to be a flatter bridge works really well. Have a look here:

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/185800/12-radius-bridge-with-9-5-neck#latest
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4558
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7058
    tFB Trader
    Definitely the latter, which should work well.

Once you have the bass side raised a little higher than the treble the increase in string height should be nicely progressive across the board.
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 828
    edited July 2020
    Thanks guys, it’s interesting that both bridges are made by Gotoh.

GE103B (Nashville): 12” (300mm) radius

GE104B (ABR1): 15.75” (400mm) radius

why on earth would they flatten the radius for the ABR1 type? And by doing so, making it incompatible with the majority of Gibson Type Guitars...?

[Imgur](https://i.imgur.com/IciQJfP.jpg?1)
    [Imgur](https://i.imgur.com/zpUcaKB.jpg?1)

they also make it very, very difficult to flip the saddles (The bolts on the end are superglued). 

I never figured out why Gotoh make the first three saddles one way and the 4, 5 & 6 saddles face the other way.

I would’ve flipped 3, 5 & 6

edited July 2020 tFB Trader
    I put the Gotoh ABR-1 on my recent build which has a 12" radius, it gives a good string height on every string. 

The flatter radius makes it *more* compatible, not less.

I agree with what you say about the saddles though, that was nearly a deal breaker.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Did you find you needed to flip the G and D saddles Steve?
    tFB Trader
    No but I measured very carefully before I located it. If I could flip them I would.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72505
    jaymenon said:
    Thanks guys, it’s interesting that both bridges are made by Gotoh.

GE103B (Nashville): 12” (300mm) radius

GE104B (ABR1): 15.75” (400mm) radius

why on earth would they flatten the radius for the ABR1 type? And by doing so, making it incompatible with the majority of Gibson Type Guitars...?
    I would say that 400mm is *more* compatible with a fingerboard radius of 300mm - or actually very slightly more than that, by a few mm - than 300mm is.

jaymenon said:

I never figured out why Gotoh make the first three saddles one way and the 4, 5 & 6 saddles face the other way.
    So the bridge can be fitted either way round and still give the right saddle stagger. All far-east tune-o-matics seem to be made like that.

Although I usually find that the D is wrong, at least - sometimes the A as well. On the typical Korean ones the first thing I do when setting up the guitar is turn the saddles round so the front face is vertical and the ramp is on the tailpiece side - that also helps reduce string breakage.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:

jaymenon said:

So the bridge can be fitted either way round and still give the right saddle stagger. All far-east tune-o-matics seem to be made like that.

Although I usually find that the D is wrong, at least - sometimes the A as well. On the typical Korean ones the first thing I do when setting up the guitar is turn the saddles round so the front face is vertical and the ramp is on the tailpiece side - that also helps reduce string breakage.
    Exactly John thanks

The scale length on the D string is shorter than the G, so I would expect that they either
    a. provide easily flippable saddles (the Gotoh's are super-glued), or

b. keep saddles such that
    1, 2 & 4 flat face towards pickups
    3, 5 & 6 ramp towards pickups

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72505
    jaymenon said:

b. keep saddles such that
    1, 2 & 4 flat face towards pickups
    3, 5 & 6 ramp towards pickups
    Exactly - although that's a problem when some silly sod ;) wants to use a wound 3rd string, which intonates even shorter than the D.

(Like me!)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

So are these aftermarket bridges (eg. by Faber) significant improvements upon the original design in terms of materials, sound et cetera...