Decent cheap mic

What's Hot
Hi all

I am just looking for a recommendation for a decent cheap mic to run into my Presonus interface which is connected to Reaper.

At the moment I have a £10 mic bought from CPC which worked OK on my four track, but I don't think it is very sensitive. That's fine for some things (like putting in a guitar case which gets bashed on to provide a beat) but I'd like one with a bit more ability to pick things up like vocals and so on.

The CPC one is actually well built for the price and comes with a decent XLR to jack cable - it's almost as though all the money went on the build. It's good for sticking in front of a loud amp or if you simply want to talk in at close range to make some audio notes (or if you are a loud singer I suppose).

Anyway, suggestions welcome...

By cheap I mean £50 ish new or second hand. I don't have a recording studio nor am I a good singer (I don't expect to be recording one either). I just want to upgrade a touch - I'd effectively have a rough and ready mic and one I reserve for "best" :) I could go to CPC again and simply choose one based on price, but I don't think that's the way forward.

Martin

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4191
    Behringer do some shure  clones , also the sub zero brand by gear for music do too if I remember correctly 

behringer xm8500

sub zero is an sm57 clone and supposed to be a great example 
  • MartinBushMartinBush Frets: 254
    edited July 2020
    Thanks. I know little about mics - I have had SM58s in the past and sold them as well as a few Tandy types. Until now a mic has just been a mic - the SM58s were just a bit more rugged

I have found the Behringer C1 for sale on Thomann for less than they are going for second hand on ebay... I wonder if that might also be an option?

Quick update...

I just bought a C1 from ebay.

At the very least it should be no worse than the one I already have, but hopefully it will be somewhat better.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
    i second the behringer xm8500, under £20, imho as good as my shure sm58 which i believe its a clone of.
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2328
    samson Q7 is worth a punt as a cheapy.      I have a couple of SM58's  and Q7, and my voice sounds equally as bad using any of them
    Cheers chaps. I will see how the C1 goes but will keep my eyes out for the others too. I snapped the C1 up cheap and it feels well made at least.

At this rate I could do with a mixer :)
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7779
    Get an Audix i5, worth the price
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    Get an Audix i5, worth the price
    Good mic, I use one for snare and occasionally vocals