Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    T&Cs, SBL privacy policy, “We may collect data about you” … general skepticism.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24270
    In other words - the data collected is worth more than the value of the prizes.

And to think to enter 16 times all it wants is to be able to read your Facebook, Twitter, IG, Twitch etc etc accounts and harvest them for info.

Fuck right off.
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    SBL - although I find his YouTube videos to be quite informative, I think the S in the name stands for "spam" - last time I entered one of his comps I got 3 emails a day advertising for paid subscriptions, until I unsubscribed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    One of the T&Cs was that SBL can re-allocate the prizes if they think an entrant has attempted to cheat in any way. 

Keep an eye on the draw. Don’t be surprised if a friend or relative of Scott wins.
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    I would think bass lessons are a hard sell anyway without plenty o' gimmicks. 
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    playing bass with a white cotton glove. pah! who is this guy, mickey mouse? super mario? bugs bunny? 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    bbill335 said:
    playing bass with a white cotton glove. pah! who is this guy, mickey mouse? super mario? bugs bunny? 
    He has a skin condition (allergy?) and it’s the only way he can play.   
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    John_P said:
    bbill335 said:
    He has a skin condition (allergy?) and it’s the only way he can play.   
    Neurological condition that causes uncontrollable tremors unless something is compressing his hands. He's made a couple of videos on the matter.
  • EmielEmiel Frets: 214
    edited July 2020
    I'm seeing these free stuff giveaways quite often these days. And usually it's not exactly cheap stuff either.

What's the reason behind all this? Sponsoring? If it's data that they want, I am not too keen about these giveaways.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26987
    I like SBL's videos but I'm getting his ads on every other youtube video at the moment and I'm struggling not to get intensely annoyed by it. I haven't clicked through the giveaway thingy but sounds like far more info than I'm happy to give anyone these days. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    The ads and spam from this guy put me off without even getting any further.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5419
    The Facebook ads I'm getting for this "giveaway" are absolutely relentless at the moment...
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    I'm going to enter, won't win, and will unsubscribe from whatever mails I get in the future...
    I'm going to enter, won't win, and will unsubscribe from whatever mails I get in the future...
    Good luck with that.

Some have had to actively threaten reporting him to the ICO to get unsub'd!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    Good lord, I took the free trial to his academy last week - at least three emails a day (with some clever address redirections so that it's hard to send automatically to junk).

Haven't dived into the courses properly yet but that's not a great first impression
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    I've blocked his ads on Facebook. Annoying the hell out of me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Good lord, I took the free trial to his academy last week - at least three emails a day (with some clever address redirections so that it's hard to send automatically to junk).

Haven't dived into the courses properly yet but that's not a great first impression
    Times must be lean for Scott. He may have turned down paid employment opportunities to become an Internet “star”. (Additionally, lockdown will have caused tours, theatrical and orchestra pit work to dry up.) He probably needs to monetise everything to the maximum to get by.

For many, the annoyance of the electronic hard selling will outweigh any benefit or pleasure derived from the tuition content.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Exactly.

I don't care if he could turn me into Vic Wooten by Friday. No way am I putting up with that amount of spam.
    The draw is finished now. Were the names of the winners exposed to public scrutiny?
    Yes - they were announced on youtube.