Shure MV88+ Any good?

What's Hot
Hi guys, I was looking at video cameras to record band and acoustic guitar videos and after deciding the video quality wasn't really the issue with my phone I found the Shure MV88+, has anyone ever tried one? Is it much of an upgrade from the Samsung S10 internal mic? Just thought I'd ask as the only stuff I can find online in terms of reviews are from people trying to sell it so of course they'll say its the best thing ever! Also at £177 its pretty pricey (for me anyway!) Does anyone have any other recommendations of similar mics that plug into samsung phones?  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4801
    I've got a Shure MV88 (not the "plus" that comes with a stand and a short cable, it's the one that plugs straight into the  Lightning socket on your iDevice). I think the mic itself is the same. I paid approx £100 for it. You get the mic, a windshield and a nice case for transport. It's much better than the built-in mics on my iPhone XR - which are actually decent for quick recording on the fly. 

I like it. It's got a mid/side capsule and comes with some software to set it up so you can have different types of recordings. 
    - mono (cardiod pattern)
    - mono (bidirectional, like a ribbon mic)
    - raw mid in channel 1 and side in channel 2
    - x/y stereo in channels 1 & 2 with variable angle simulation from 60 to 135 degrees. 

You set it up with the free Shure app and then it works with any recording software you like - including the Shure one. If you're making a video using your iPhone, you set the mic up with the Shure app but then record your video using the Camera app in iOS and the video is stored in your Photos library.

I'm not sure you'll be able to plug into a Samsung phone with the standard MV88, but assuming the MV88+ is the same mic, then I think it's well worth the MV88 price and only you will know if the 88+ extras are worth paying for. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4723

I had one, they sound good and are well implemented.  The Mic stores the DSP settings and it all works well.

But, to be honst, I've found my phone good enough for what I need and used the MV88 less and less.  So I sold mine, for pretty much what I paid for it a few years ago, so in that repsoect you can't lose.

If I was recording loud bands then I probably would have used it for its higher SPL capabilities, but for just aacounstic my iphone 11 is adequate.

Also, I have a Rode USB mic that works with an iphone (like any USB mic with a camara connection kit) and although it is less portable, it will cover the bases if I ever need to deal with loud sources.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4801

I had one, they sound good and are well implemented.  The Mic stores the DSP settings and it all works well.

But, to be honst, I've found my phone good enough for what I need and used the MV88 less and less.  So I sold mine, for pretty much what I paid for it a few years ago, so in that repsoect you can't lose.

If I was recording loud bands then I probably would have used it for its higher SPL capabilities, but for just aacounstic my iphone 11 is adequate.

Also, I have a Rode USB mic that works with an iphone (like any USB mic with a camara connection kit) and although it is less portable, it will cover the bases if I ever need to deal with loud sources.
    I agree with you. For "round the kitchen table" recordings, the internal mic on my phone is fine enough. But use it at band practice levels and the recording levels "brick wall" and sound very distorted and hard to listen to. The MV88 doesn't suffer in the same way at all. 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4723

I agree with you. For "round the kitchen table" recordings, the internal mic on my phone is fine enough. But use it at band practice levels and the recording levels "brick wall" and sound very distorted and hard to listen to. The MV88 doesn't suffer in the same way at all. 
    Yeah correct. I only sold mine because I have a Rode NTUSB which means I can mic up where I want rather than at the camera, otherwise would have kept the MV88.

The Rode sounds better, but not as portable as the Mv88 and is only mono.