Electronics issue???

I've never had this before - I bought some strat pickups plus pots etc all wired up from someone on the forum. I went to install and everything was going fine, they worked on the scratchplate outside the guitar, but every time I put the scratchplate in position I would get a lot of 'noise', then when I pushed it down - silence (just to explain, I had it plugged into an amp at the time as part of the process of working out what the problem was). I had triple checked all the wiring and components and all seemed OK. Finally I twigged that it was the switch coming into contact with the cavity shielding somewhere at the point where I got it in place. As my quick fix test I wrapped some kitchen paper around the switch and it behaved fine. I've never in my life had an issue with that before, but I guess it is what you would expect with the switch touching the shielding?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• martmart Frets: 5205
    If the shielding is properly grounded, and the switch touches the shielding, then you’d get no sound at all. 

So I would guess that you’ve diagnosed things correctly, but your shielding is not adequately grounded.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72506
    edited July 2020
    If it was just microscopically touching the shielding, you would get noise as it moved around, then as it was pushed down, a good firm contact and silence.

Personally I would remove the kitchen roll *now* before it starts to fray and bits of it get into the switch contacts, which could damage them. To solve the problem, simply put a piece of insulating tape over the shielding directly under the switch.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    ICBM said:
    If it was just microscopically touching the shielding, you would get noise as it moved around, then as it was pushed down, a good firm contact and silence.
    Yes, that was the case. I'll be taking it apart in a day or so when new pickup covers arrive. Just glad to have found the problem!

Ta for the tape advice.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4934
    Also check the wires are connected to the jack socket correctly.