Capacitor Wiring & Buzz

jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 829
edited July 2020 in Making & Modding
In an unscreened guitar, is a capacitor wired between volume and tone pot

more likely to pick up noise / buzz compared to a cap wired between the earth terminal and casing of the tone pot?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7058
    tFB Trader
    As I understand it, all the current that passes through the capacitor and its connecting wires goes to earth so shouldn't affect the signal.
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 829
    Not the signal Steve, but the sort of buzz that good screening neutralises. 

I would expect intuitively that long lengths of wiring for the capacitors (as in the top photograph) would be more likely to pick up noise...

so on something like a 335, I wondered if keeping the entire capacitor, wires and all,  close to the tone pot would be advantageous...?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14515
    On a 335, connecting both ends of the capacitor to the tone pot has the advantage of being easier to fit and/or remove. The runs between pots can be made with plastic-insulated single-con + shield cable, thereby minimising hum and RF interference.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 829
    That's useful to know, thank you both...!
  • CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 762
    edited July 2020
    The first diagram may be slightly less prone to buzz. The unused terminal of the pot is the only place where noise could be picked up, and as the wiper is connected to earth that noise would be directed directly to earth.

In the second diagram the paralleled signal feeds the wiper, so any noise picked up by the unused terminal could theoretically end up imposed on the signal. 

You could always modify the second diagram. Wire the cap between the wiper lug and the back of the pot (earth) and feed the pot from the lower terminal where the cap is currently connected i.e. transpose the connections. The unused terminal will be closest to earth (similar to the first diagram) , albeit via the cap.

EDIT: Just read Funkfingers comments. My comments assumed use of regular unshielded cable. Best outcome would be combine my proposed wiring of tone control with shielded cable as already suggested. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72506
    Yes, that’s exactly right - having the cap between the controls is noisier than having it connected to ground, and if you have the cap at the ground end you can also shield the connection between the pots. If the cap has an outer foil marking - usually a line at one end - connect that lead to ground.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein