Three humbucker wiring?

What's Hot
So, three humbuckers, two pots and a Gibson style switch....if I wire the bridge and middle through the switch, then the neck to a pot, will that work, do I run the output from the switch and the output from the pot together to the jack?
Would that work and also allow me to blend in the neck pickup using the pot?
If not I could do with suggestions please.....drawn on something and a photo would be good!

Thanks!
Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 9062
    This diagram blends the middle pickup, but change the names over and it’s what you’re asking for: https://guitarelectronics.com/wdu-hhh3t22-01/
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15195
    edited July 2020
    Yes, the neck PU blend will work.

My inclination would be to have the middle pickup as the blended one - especially if it is (intentionally) out-of-phase with the other two humbuckers.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3218
    Thanks all!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• flyingvflyingv Frets: 555
    edited August 2020
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but I’m tinkering with three humbucker possibilities at the mo? Excuse the scribble on attached pic,  but would this work? I’m basically after neck and middle with just independent volumes no tone needed, and bridge / tone as per normal? Obviously neck and mid would be  blendable, or as individual? Also would this make the middle switch position redundant??? Thanks in advance for any advice - putting right! )
    https://i.imgur.com/dlpznd0.jpg
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74281
    flyingv said:
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but I’m tinkering with three humbucker possibilities at the mo? Excuse the scribble on attached pic,  but would this work? I’m basically after neck and middle with just independent volumes no tone needed, and bridge / tone as per normal? Obviously neck and mid would be  bendable, or as individual? Also would this make the middle switch position redundant??? Thanks in advance for any advice - putting right! :))
    That’s basically correct. You’ve got the jack connections the wrong way round at the switch and the switch ground isn’t connected to the rest of the circuit, but you would have spotted that when you built it :).

The middle position isn’t redundant, it gives all three pickups, with separate volumes.

I would swap the volume pot connections for the bridge pickup - you’ve got the tone control connected to the output not the pickup, so it will be active in the middle position even when the bridge volume is turned down.

Also use shielded cable to the switch, of course.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    flyingv said:
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but I’m tinkering with three humbucker possibilities at the mo? Excuse the scribble on attached pic,  but would this work? I’m basically after neck and middle with just independent volumes no tone needed, and bridge / tone as per normal? Obviously neck and mid would be  bendable, or as individual? Also would this make the middle switch position redundant??? Thanks in advance for any advice - putting right! :))
    That’s basically correct. You’ve got the jack connections the wrong way round at the switch and the switch ground isn’t connected to the rest of the circuit, but you would have spotted that when you built it :).

The middle position isn’t redundant, it gives all three pickups, with separate volumes.

I would swap the volume pot connections for the bridge pickup - you’ve got the tone control connected to the output not the pickup, so it will be active in the middle position even when the bridge volume is turned down.

Also use shielded cable to the switch, of course.
    Thanks @ICBM - much appreciated! :+1: 
    flyingv said:
    Yes, that looks right :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    flyingv said:
    Cheers! :+1: 
    That is the circuit for the old Epiphone SG/LP Custom.
    edited August 2020
    That is the circuit for the old Epiphone SG/LP Custom.
    Really? Couldn’t find anything like this via internet 
    Another interesting variation is the Gibson Peter Frampton signature LP circuit.
    ICBM said:
    flyingv said:
    Doh. Sorry... no it's not. That will teach me to look at it on a phone and not pay attention!

The common and ground connections on the switch are still the wrong way round. The 'v' shaped junction at the far end is the common output that goes to the switch hot (yellow wire), and the plain single strip in the middle is the ground.

ICBM said:
    ICBM said:
    flyingv said:
    Yes, that looks right .
    Doh. Sorry... no it's not. That will teach me to look at it on a phone and not pay attention!

The common and ground connections on the switch are still the wrong way round. The 'v' shaped junction at the far end is the common output that goes to the switch hot (yellow wire), and the plain single strip in the middle is the ground.
    Got it ———————— I think? ha! ha! Cheers :+1:  https://i.imgur.com/Dah9xe1.jpg
    Yes, I'm almost 99% certain that that is probably definitely right.

;)

It is :). Obviously with shielded cable for the coloured wires, but those are the correct connections.

:+1: