Car suggestions?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701
    Deadman said:
    Yeah. I remember you getting the Macan. Incredible motor. The prices there are just insane!

The M140 is rapid. I actually went for the manual as I got bored of my auto. Feels like I made the right choice. It's got Pro nav, HK stereo and adaptive suspension as standard. LCI2 has digital dash too. I'm getting a stage 1 remap in a few weeks which will take it from 340 to 420 (ish) BHP. Don't judge me lol 
    Manual - good move.  Remap, why not?
    Forged internals on the M140i so nothing to worry about either.  They sound good as well, really nice engine.

My brother is bored of his M135i and wants a manual now, I think it's the best choice for driver engagement.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2438
    The B58 is a closed deck so should take the tune easily if the internals are forged.

Quaife do an LSD upgrade which would be worth a look with the remap, and Birds do a full upgrade kit including new springs and anti-roll bars for about £4600 including remap to 430PS that gets excellent reviews.

I love my 1 series, it was N47 timing chain concerns that made me get rid of it, but otherwise nice to drive, great driving position and comfortable. 
    The Birds kit would take the M140 from a car that was great driving at 7/10 to a car you could really press on in
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3902
    edited July 2020
    Thanks lads. I appreciate the advice and comments, just don't wanna derail Jim's thread!

I love this B58 and see me being with it for a long time. Interestingly, it's fitted to the new Supra and I'm well aware that it's easily worthy of 400 odd HP (and some).

It's a dry weather car for sure (when you want to really use the power), I've had the back end out in the wet quite easily but the TC quickly sorts that out. I'll simply avoid Sport+ mode when it's damp. Not ready to buy a LSD yet but I'm not a complete nutter and will be able to handle the additional power for now. My 3 series was also a beast so I'm quite used to powerful RWD.

Any further forward on your quest Jim? I'm pretty useless here as your market is.....strange!
    Further to the Octavia suggestion, a Fabia is a good little car, and surprisingly spacious. The very newest ones suffer a bit from not having been updated to the latest chassis version that VAG make, but on a 3 year old one that's not an issue.

@Deadman I'd be getting the LSD before I upped the power, the M140 isn't underpowered by any stretch, but the open diff lets it down a bit when you're pressing on. I found on my 1 the issue wasn't being unable to get the back out, it can do that easily, it was that progressiveness in doing so that you get from an LSD that was missing. 
    My MX-5 has a viscous coupling LSD which is better than nothing, but can only transmit about 10% of the power to the desired side, and compared to the proper torque vectoring on my Focus RS you really notice the difference.
    Cheers @strtdv I'm definitely taking heed of what you're saying. Thank you.
  • steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1174
    The VW and Skoda vehicles will be DSG auto boxes I suspect.  I'd recommend a normal torque converter box over those any day.  Have a look at Toyota Prius or Lexus CT, both are hybrid 1.8 litre with CVT gearboxes.  Very smooth and economical with inbuilt reliability.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Couple of options now, a BMW X1 and a 1 series hatch.
    Im minded to go for the 1 series, it is a 2019 model with only 20k on it.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3654
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:
    Geneva is a tricky city to park in.
    I think that you’ve answered your own question re the X1.  They’re a nice car, I had one as a company car, but you are better deciding which car meets your needs (size, number of doors, fuel type etc) and stick to it.
    Musicwolf said:
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:
    Geneva is a tricky city to park in.
    I think that you’ve answered your own question re the X1.  They’re a nice car, I had one as a company car, but you are better deciding which car meets your needs (size, number of doors, fuel type etc) and stick to it.
    This is true, but we are trying to decide how much 'up in the mountains in winter' driving we will do.
    A 4 wheel drive capable vehicle might be a worth the parking inconvenience.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3654
    octatonic said:

Only the X-Drive models have all wheel drive.  The lower spec are 2 wheel drive.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26579
    Automatic 2017 Alfa Giulias are ~£14-17k.

Just sayin'.
    <space for hire>
    Musicwolf said:
    octatonic said:

Only the X-Drive models have all wheel drive.  The lower spec are 2 wheel drive.
    Yes we're looking at an XDrive X1.

Just sayin'.
    Bit more than that here, but it is an option.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26579
    octatonic said:

Just sayin'.
    Bit more than that here, but it is an option.
    For what it's worth, they're pretty fast and economical. 0-60 in 7.2s, but 50-80mpg (obviously not at the same time). Diesel, natch.

Also, in my opinion, pretty much the best-looking cars you can get for that kind of money.
    <space for hire>
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4917
    Are cars expensive to own/run in Switzerland?
    Can you buy across the border and bring it into the country?
    I suppose my head would say go for a Golf, though I've never owned a VW in my life!
    Yes they are expensive but buying across the border will attract vat.
    Some people do it, but I don’t really have time to investigate.
    I think the 1 series was reasonably widely sold in X drive form on the continent
    Well we made a decision and it was not the one we thought it was going to be.

After a long discussion about what we thought we'd use it for we've decided the isn't going to be a city car.
    Geneva is impossible to park in anyway and everything is pretty close.
    None of the trips into the city in the last week would have been done by car- we walk or cycle in the city.

So this is a car for weekends away, holidays, weekend shopping in France, Parkruns in France on a Saturday and heading up the mountains.

So a 4wd auto has been purchased in the form of a Ford Kuga.
    It was 10k less than the equivalent German car and better appointed.
    This is a 2017 with 25k miles on it- we take deliver of it on Thursday.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Nice mate. Happy motoring.