What's Your Favourite T.S Style Pedal for Stacking into an O.D?

What's Hot
BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5852
edited July 2020 in FX
I know this has been one to death, but, I'm getting in a Kerfuffle about T.S choices. I want to go back to small footprint T.S pedal to free up some space that my large Maxon Pedal takes up.

Even though of putting the old VFE Back on there, but due to my OCD (No pun intended) that would just lead me to more fiddling with the many sounds it offers.

So, I'm thinking the old small T.S, simple layout. I'm kind of lured by the Ibanez ones, but there are many of them.

For context, I like to use the TS on lowish setting, as stand alone pedal to get that great "edge" to any "Cleanish" Guitar tone.

I also like to put it before my OD Pedals in the chain. My OD Pedals are Bogner Blue and LaGrange. Yes, I know these have an incredible Volume and Gain boost button, but it doesn't quite match what stacking a TS into it can do.

Thanks.
Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JohnCordyJohnCordy Frets: 650
    These two!

Tate FX Antares or ibanez Ts10

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5852
    Whoaaaaa! Nice Video and tasteful playing there @JohnCordy ;

I was premature at first :) and went straight for the Antares, then my mind kept changing as you fiddled with the settings. It really is a Fool's Errand, I know I'm gonna get tied in knots over this. I do like that Antares though  :#
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @Bellycaster there's also a comparison with a duellist and ts mini on the channel...which might sound laughable, but the ibanez ts mini is really pretty decent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    @Bellycaster sorry found it 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5260
    the absolute greatest tube screamer ever imo is to be found in the Automatone
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    If you can find one, Jon, a Keeley modified Ibanez TS-808 is great and I have mine before an Xotic EP and OCD. Extended tonal range, smooth and just works with any OD pedal I've had, or to add some sting to amp overdrive for solos.

The mini TS is good and I can also recommend the JRAD GTO.
    Kebabkid said:
    If you can find one, Jon, a Keeley modified Ibanez TS-808 is great and I have mine before an Xotic EP and OCD. Extended tonal range, smooth and just works with any OD pedal I've had, or to add some sting to amp overdrive for solos.

I was hoping you might Chirp in, Cos! I know you mentioned one in a recent message, but was hoping I didn't have to trawl through to find which one.

It's a rare event for me to start getting anal about pedals, but all that free time on Sandbanks Beach (in between watching "Nature") got me nitpicking over my Board :)
  • RobertWRobertW Frets: 148
    I'm a huge fan of the lowly Boss SD-1.
  • spirit7spirit7 Frets: 338
    Hudson Sidecar.
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3988
    Something with a bass knob adds a bit more flexibility and control - Green Rhino, Seymour Duncan 805 or if you want to go the SD-1 route MXR M77.

If you specifically don't want flexibility, Maxon 808
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    I'm a big fan of the palisades by eqd . I've used it to find out "what TS" I need for multiple different Amps and set ups . 

Only issue is it's hefting big. Quite noisy. And I hardly ever use the boost. 

But I'm modifying an SD-1 now, to suit the subtleties I prefer from the Pali settings :) 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30912
    I'll second the Tate Antares.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

edited July 2020
    Kebabkid said:

I was hoping you might Chirp in, Cos! I know you mentioned one in a recent message, but was hoping I didn't have to trawl through to find which one.

It's a rare event for me to start getting anal about pedals, but all that free time on Sandbanks Beach (in between watching "Nature") got me nitpicking over my Board
    If a TS is an essential type pedal on your board, you could look at the JHS Bonsai and have all flavour of TS at your feet (I think it even includes the Keeley-modded version).

I really rate the JRAD GTO, which is based on a Nobels but it's more refined, transparent and has a really good low to medium gain range and it terms of size, the Tour Series is smaller than a regular pedal but not as small as a mini.

The Xotic AC (Yellow one) is great and has less mid hump. Take a look at the Allen Hinds' vids from over 10 years ago.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    Boss SD-1, but I wouldn‘t stack it into another overdrive, only a distortion. Although that may depend on how you describe them... the Blues Driver is good with the SD-1, and I know a lot of people would probably call that an overdrive.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Kebabkid said:
    Kebabkid said:

It's a rare event for me to start getting anal about pedals, but all that free time on Sandbanks Beach (in between watching "Nature") got me nitpicking over my Board
    If a TS is an essential type pedal on your board, you could look at the JHS Bonsai and have all flavour of TS at your feet (I think it even includes the Keeley-modded version).

I really rate the JRAD GTO, which is based on a Nobels but it's more refined, transparent and has a really good low to medium gain range and it terms of size, the Tour Series is smaller than a regular pedal but not as small as a mini.

The Xotic AC (Yellow one) is great and has less mid hump. Take a look at the Allen Hinds' vids from over 10 years ago.
    Cheers, Cos.I know you've dabbled with a few pedals lately and I have liked the demos of some that I've seen.
    JohnCordy said:
    @Bellycaster there's also a comparison with a duellist and ts mini on the channel...which might sound laughable, but the ibanez ts mini is really pretty decent
    There wasn't much between those. Nowt wrong with that TS mini, like you say. I might just pack in playing though after watching that.

=) 
  • @TateFX makes a great TS style pedal. 
    Made in the UK as well. Good videos on YouTube including That Pedal Show

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

Hey Jon, here's a recent Peach Guitar run down of TS pedals that might interest you

Cheers, Cos.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    RobertW said:
    I'm a huge fan of the lowly Boss SD-1.
    ^ This.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it