B*llocking b*llocks!!!!!! Router bugger up

What's Hot
All was going well with my bass build, too well I guess. I was in the final stage of routing the body shape with some template bits, literally on the last little section, the lower horn, and unbeknown to me the bearing decided to die. Basically it buggered a 3mm section all around the lower horn.

I'm painting the body, the options are rout a big 1 inch deep section off the horn and stick in a replacement bit of wood, or remodel the lower horn shape so that it is smaller. I think that I'm going to go for the latter but it's annoying as I spent a lot of time getting the shape I wanted.

So p*ssed off! Oh well, on with the show ....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• davrosdavros Frets: 1337
    Personally, I would rout an inch off that side and patch a new piece in. You won't see the join under the paint, but you'll always be bothered by the reshaped horn!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    if you a painting a solid colour the use car body filler
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7038
    tFB Trader
    I'd reshape it if it were mine. Or buy some more wood.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8723
    I’d reshape it. You might be able to use the existing template, and move it about a bit. If not you’ll have to make a new one.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72420
    Reshape it. It's a small enough difference that you won't really notice it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Yeah, thanks people I am now in agreement. I've worked out the new shape on my plans and I can live with it. Just need to make a new horn template and also revise the pickguard design.
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    I hate routers and nowadays do everything I can to avoid them.  Almost every time I use them, something will turn out not quite as planned. 
    On the present acoustic guitar bouzouki build, there are about 4 jobs out of 120 that need a router.  Did one of them yesterday.  Did something go wrong?  Of course it did ;)