Home recording - getting started?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    I use a 2012 MacBook Pro with Logic X on Mojave and daisy chain 2 x EDIROL FA 101s via firewire - works very well indeed, and cheap as chips if you can find the edirols second hand ( eBay ) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • What's your budget, Stiddle?
    I don’t really have a fixed budge. I don’t want to spend thousands at this point, but not against a few hundred. 

Scarlett 4i4 with a mic or 2 feels like where I’m probably headed at the moment.
    Yeah seems a reasonable suggestion.

Bye!

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    What's your budget, Stiddle?
    I don’t really have a fixed budge. I don’t want to spend thousands at this point, but not against a few hundred. 

Scarlett 4i4 with a mic or 2 feels like where I’m probably headed at the moment.
    Emminetly sensible, you can resell the Scarlett easily on Reverb if you need something bigger.

re:Mics Thomann T-Bone rather than Neumann/Rode/AKG to start is sensible - plus the ubiquitous SM58/57s

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    I did a recording earlier on this year tracking guitars (double mic'ed up in the spare room), bass (di'ed) and vocals using several devices. The Focusrite iTrack dock which was running Cubasis on the iPad works well when you need portability and not to be confined to a desk. For pulling everything together I had Cubase Elements on the computer with a Scarlett 2i4 and a suite of plugins both free and paid for (e.g. Klanghelm MJUC Compressor/ Valhalla Ubermod). Both guitars and vocals were double tracked and drums programmed using Groove-agent which is bundled in with Elements. Audio from the iPad transferred via cloud. To me it was less having loads of equipment as it was having the knowledge of which there is plenty of on YouTube etc. Oh and a decent set of cans for tracking especially for vocals where you don't want sound bleed through!