Iron Gear Pickups

What's Hot
Quick question. Whereabouts are Iron Gear pickups made? In the UK or elsewhere? I'd like to buy Briitsh if I can given that our economy is tanking. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• abw1989abw1989 Frets: 639
    http://www.irongear.co.uk/irongear_pickups_021.htm

"All IronGear Premier Pickups are designed and developed in the UK."

"
    IronGear pickups are made outside of the UK in state-of-the-art facilities"

British designed but most likely made in China...?

Brilliant pick ups none the less, I have them in a couple of my guitars and have no complaints. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14496
    Les Claypool said:
    Everything nowadays is made in China. 
     :) 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1970
    edited July 2020
    abw1989 said:
    http://www.irongear.co.uk/irongear_pickups_021.htm

"All IronGear Premier Pickups are designed and developed in the UK."

"IronGear pickups are made outside of the UK in state-of-the-art facilities"

British designed but most likely made in China...?

Brilliant pick ups none the less, I have them in a couple of my guitars and have no complaints. 
    I read that on their site too and assumed the state-of-the-art facilities would mean China on the basis that if it was the UK then they would say so. Who else apart from bare knuckle manufactures in the UK then? I have bare knuckles in one of mine but thought I'd like to try something else on a guitar I'm using as a test bed. BKP are very good though. 

Ian

• CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 762
    edited July 2020
    Devil#20 said:
    Who else apart from bare knuckle manufactures in the UK then?
    Mojo Pickups
    Fletcher Pickups
    Oil City Pickups

I'm sure other people will chip in with more suggestions. 

As for Iron Gear, great pickups at their price - Vintage 6TS Bridge and Pig Iron Middle and Neck; classic Strat without brittleness on the bridge. 
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    Devil#20 said:
    Mojo Pickups
    Fletcher Pickups
    Oil City Pickups

As for Iron Gear, great pickups at their price - Vintage 6TS Bridge and Pig Iron Middle and Neck; classic Strat without brittleness on the bridge. 
    IronGear are great pickups regardless of price.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TokaiPeteTokaiPete Frets: 1
    Devil#20 said:
    Mojo Pickups
    Fletcher Pickups
    Oil City Pickups

Bloodstone (Derby, I think) and Creamery in Manchester. But, as others have said, Iron Gear are really good.
    Alegree and Monty’s are two more building pickups in the UK.

Some of the UK brands have introduced budget lines. (e.g. BKP Boot Camp and Alegree Old Timer.) The origins of these products is not made clear on the respective web sites.

Kent Armstrong hand makes bespoke pickups wherever he is living at the time. His budget Sky versions were from Korea.

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    Devil#20 said:
    Quick question. Whereabouts are Iron Gear pickups made? In the UK or elsewhere? I'd like to buy Briitsh if I can given that our economy is tanking. 
    Even if Iron Gear pickups are excellent, I'd recommend UK made pickup makers like Oil City, Mojo, Alegree (I own things from these 3) as their quality is truly excellent, and even if it's a few quid more IMO they are worth the price tags.

I see you are in Preston. Jamie at Creamery is in Manchester which might not be a million miles from you in the grand scheme of things if you want to support a local guy.
    Devil#20 said:
    Even if Iron Gear pickups are excellent, I'd recommend UK made pickup makers like Oil City, Mojo, Alegree (I own things from these 3) as their quality is truly excellent, and even if it's a few quid more IMO they are worth the price tags.

I see you are in Preston. Jamie at Creamery is in Manchester which might not be a million miles from you in the grand scheme of things if you want to support a local guy.
    Correct. Exiled in Preston for work reasons, but I'm in Manchester a lot because that's where my family live so I'll have a look. Thanks. 

Ian

• timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2402

Some of the UK brands have introduced budget lines. (e.g. BKP Boot Camp and Alegree Old Timer.) The origins of these products is not made clear on the respective web sites.

BKP Boot Camp are made on the same production line as their core range; the price reduction is due to the fact that they're not custom orders, so can be made in large batches. It's on their home page:
    "Boot Camp is a focused range of handwound pickups, covering humbuckers, Strats, Teles and P90s that strips away the custom options to cut straight to the tone. All wound and built in our UK workshop"

Tim
  • Allan Price Aka Catswhisker pickups
    Makes fab pickups IMHO
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    its also worth mentioning Radioshop in Neath, are Bulldog still a going affair?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader

Kent Armstrong hand makes bespoke pickups wherever he is living at the time. His budget Sky versions were from Korea.

Alegree branded pickups are made in the UK, Old Timers are made in Korea (many of which are designed in the UK and made to our specifications, like the previously mentioned Iron Gears)
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
    Allan Price Aka Catswhisker pickups
    Makes fab pickups IMHO
    Yeah I forgot about his pickups!

I found a recording of myself using his pickups in and old Hagstrom straight into a JCM800 no fx and it sounded far better than I was expecting. Excellent pickups.
    timmypix said:
    BKP Boot Camp are made on the same production line as their core range; the price reduction is due to the fact that they're not custom orders, so can be made in large batches.
    Alegree said:
    Alegree branded pickups are made in the UK, Old Timers are made in Korea (many of which are designed in the UK and made to our specifications, like the previously mentioned Iron Gears)
    Thank you both for clarifying.
    Alegree said:

Wow those prices look pretty tempting for UK made pickups, particularly as many on here recommend them. So unless it says Old Timer then they are all UK made then?

Ian

Devil#20 said:

Wow those prices look pretty tempting for UK made pickups, particularly as many on here recommend them. So unless it says Old Timer then they are all UK made then?
    I have some Alegree UK made pickups in my Tele Deluxe (HB sized P90's) and they are truly superb.
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    I just used a set of Alegree cirrostratus for a Tele build Couldn’t be happier with them. 
    I have two Alegree pickups from his June clearance sale thread in Parts $. It took the discount to convince me to try the brand but, having done so, I reckon they are worth the full retail price.

Same story with Oil City Pickups.
  • I’ve used Irongear a lot, really rate them, I’m sure they are manufactured in the East somewhere, but they area at least a Uk company at heart. Guy I’ve been using for a couple of builds is Ben Fletcher, great pickups, and good prices for a handwound made to order. Same for Ghost pickups, Wilf has a bunch of users, and I’ve always loved his work too. The hardest part is working out which for what tbh, I never know until I’m finishing a body what I feel is right, and I just have to go with instinct at that point. I think you need bats ears to really distinguish a choice, it’s about what feels right