Good string winder / cutter?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    My current string winder is cheap and needs replacing. Was thinking about the Music Nomad jobby:

Anyone use this? Is it OK. Is there a better one?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philtre said:
    My current string winder is cheap and needs replacing. Was thinking about the Music Nomad jobby:

It’s really good quality...but it’s only a string winder (no extras). Buy well: buy once ;)
    Philtre said:

It’s really good quality...but it’s only a string winder (no extras). Buy well: buy once ;)
    I ordered one. Thanks for confirmation!

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    How much wire are you winding on that you need a special tool?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16711
    Anyone got a roadie, or other automatic winder/tuner yet?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72410
    Sassafras said:
    How much wire are you winding on that you need a special tool?
    I agree with that up to a point, although it does depend on the guitar. I don’t normally use one when I fit strings with the locking method, since there’s less than a full turn on the post, but winding on the G string on a vintage-Fender-style post when you need more wraps is tedious without one.

I have no idea why you would want to combine two completely unrelated tools into one object which makes both parts harder to use though...

I use a simple traditional winder - I have a specific favourite which just feels right, there’s a huge amount of variation - and a pair of good quality hardened side cutters. Why make it more complicated?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DavidRDavidR Frets: 747
    Ever wondered why your small pliers go blunt and get indented so quickly? Only sussed this recently. After 50y of changing strings in fact! Must be daft. Very slow definitely. 

The steel on most little nippers is only tempered hard enough to cut copper wire not steel. Specific guitar string nippers are made with higher tensile jaws hard enough to cut through steel. So worth looking on Amazon with that in mind. Recently bought some Artibetter ones.

Please tell me you didn't all already know that!!
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 747
    I use a separate winder and snippers. Winder has bridge pin remover. Combined tools always a bit clumsy. For me anyway. Changing strings not a job which can be rushed IMHO. Not sure why, but I adore doing it.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7150
    edited October 2020
    WezV said:
    Anyone got a roadie, or other automatic winder/tuner yet?

Yeah, I have two. They sent them to me to review a few years back and I never use them....

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

Philtre said:
    Philtre said:

I ordered one. Thanks for confirmation!

My Music Nomad string winder arrived. Very nice, very sturdy, rubbery nubbery, nice solid action.

A++++ Would buy again!