What do I do next ( painting )

What's Hot
Hi

I have started on painting job . It's my first ever job so I don't want to go really bad . 
I sprayed white primer yesterday , and today noticed grain popped up .
I have just sanded it with 400 grit and need your advice . 
Do I just paint it now over or will this grain pop up again with paint ? 

1st photo is just before sanding so you can see grain lifted .
2nd after sanding in that area to make it flat and smooth . 
3rd is the back 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7045
    tFB Trader
    Prime, sand, repeat until everything is 100% flat and white.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JazzthatJazzthat Frets: 163
     Looks like I need another can of primer .
    Thanks 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks to @SteveRobinson I have managed to progress from primer to to paint :)

I painted the body yesterday and it looks really nice . No runs or orange peel at all . 
    Though , today I have a good look at different angles and I have spotted different textures of paint around the body . 
    Particularly front and back . It is hard to show in the photo , and I can only describe as there are shiny and matt patches , and some places are a touch rough to feel .
    As a note , those spots can't be seen unless you look at it properly under certain light angles .
    So , have I done it wrong or is this ok to lacquer and won't be seen anymore ?

This is the best I can do with phone's camera .
     As you can see there is more matt area toward pickups pocket . 
     Damn phots don't work atm . I'll try a bit later 

tFB Trader
    You are either/and (i) spraying too far away or (ii) the ambient temperature is too high or (iii) you are warming the can.

The lacquer is drying before it hits the body and that's why it's not flowing out.

You need to spray wet enough that the lacquer flows but not so wet that it runs.
    You are either/and (i) spraying too far away or (ii) the ambient temperature is too high or (iii) you are warming the can.

The lacquer is drying before it hits the body and that's why it's not flowing out.

You need to spray wet enough that the lacquer flows but not so wet that it runs.
    Sorry if I haven't made it clear . Those patches are from painting . 
    I haven't put clear coat on it yet .
  • vanlooy1vanlooy1 Frets: 453
    I’m no expert but I believe that @SteveRobinson is referring to colour as lacquer 
    vanlooy1 said:
    I’m no expert but I believe that @SteveRobinson is referring to colour as lacquer 
    Alright , maybe . I think I followed all the steps as required . 
    In fact the distance from body while spraying was shorter at about 15cm . The weather was ok I think , as it was done this Friday gone at 7pm and not much wind really . 
    I had shaken the can before and during painting and definitely I didn't warm the can in any way .
    The only thing I could think of , could have been passing to quick , but I am pretty confident this was ok .
    I applied  the same method when priming before paint and that was pretty nice surface all round .
    It definitely something I have done though but can't figure it out as to what was it .
    I have another look just now outside and I can barely see anything . 
    It seems that is more visible in bright light only .
    I am just wondering if it's going to show if I put clear coat on it?
    I know it's mostly not advisable to sand down a paint , but I was thinking maybe go over with 1000 or 1200 over to smooth it out a bit . 
    What do you guys think?
    tFB Trader
    It's all lacquer, some is clear some is opaque.

It's a combination of spraying too far away and the weather being too warm. Whatever it is, the solvents in the lacquer are drying before it hits the body so that it can't flow to create a smooth surface.

Different brands contain different mixtures of solvents which eveporate at different rates. Mine contains more retarder (evaporates more slowly) than most others so that it minimises this problem.

If you spray the clear coat a bit wetter it should flow out the rough colour coat. 

** You need to spray wet enough that the lacquer flows but not so wet that it runs. **
    It's all lacquer, some is clear some is opaque.

It's a combination of spraying too far away and the weather being too warm. Whatever it is, the solvents in the lacquer are drying before it hits the body so that it can't flow to create a smooth surface.

Different brands contain different mixtures of solvents which eveporate at different rates. Mine contains more retarder (evaporates more slowly) than most others so that it minimises this problem.

If you spray the clear coat a bit wetter it should flow out the rough colour coat. 

** You need to spray wet enough that the lacquer flows but not so wet that it runs. **
    Thank you @SteveRobinson , this is very helpful  .
    I might spray lacquer this evening when it cools down a bit as it's hot hot today !

I'll be back as soon as I have finished it :)