Are there any pointy headstock necks that will fit a Fender Strat neck pocket?

What's Hot
Got a project in mind, are there any pointy headstock necks , without a locking nut (Jackson/Ibanez/Charvel etc) that will fit a Fender Strat size neck pocket and intonate?
Something I can get used rather than new?
Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72485
    A properly pointy (Charvel/Jackson style) headstock without a locking nut is a bad idea, because the string angles at the nut are quite extreme for the top strings in particular, which leads to tuning problems - or in some cases the nut snapping off at the top E slot. An Ibanez-style straight point is OK, and one of those with a fingerboard overhang for the top three frets will fit a Strat neck pocket.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14496
    ICBM said:
    A properly pointy (Charvel/Jackson style) headstock without a locking nut is a bad idea, because the string angles at the nut are quite extreme for the top strings in particular, which leads to tuning problems - or in some cases the nut snapping off at the top E slot. 
    I can vouch for this. I lavished hours on measuring and marking everything on a nut blank in some fancy self-lubricating material. Shaped it, slotted it, smoothed the string slot edges and was not entirely surprised to discover that, even with the vibrato blocked off, the guitar STILL would not hold tune. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    I’ve seen a more Kramer hockey stick type ones than full on Jackson/Charvel pointy type ones.
    In fact my mate did have one for sale, want me to ask him ?
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    DrBob said:
    I’ve seen a more Kramer hockey stick type ones than full on Jackson/Charvel pointy type ones.
    Please.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    paulnb57 said:
    DrBob said:
    Please.....
    Will do 
  • MattNovakMattNovak Frets: 907
    Its long since been sold, but this Kramer neck had a strat heel. I removed the locking nut and installed a brass one, it held tune fine and I gigged it.... maybe have a gander on eBay for something similar? I think mine went for about £40 so they're relatively inexpensive

www.theflyingacesband.com
    Cheers Matt @MattNovak

• MattNovakMattNovak Frets: 907
    No probs @paulnb57 ; - you could always 'go nuclear' and have a browse on aliexpress, this worked for this old build at less than £50 if I remember (a proper rosewood facing on the headstock, too!)

(don't judge me, I was younger then)

www.theflyingacesband.com
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WoodenheadWoodenhead Frets: 123
    edited August 2020
    There's a chinese seller (listed as uk stock) who has a hockey stick style neck, might be worth a punt at £28
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Banana-Neck-Dot-Inlay-22-Frets-for-Electric-Guitar-Replacement-Maple-Fingerboard/223657120867

I haven't bought from this particular seller but I have bought a strat type neck before (£20) like this before and was pleasantly surprised at the build quality. Low quality fret wire was about the only bad point, but the neck itself was well made.

I'm tempted to get one myself for an explorer project.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    MattNovak said:
    No probs @paulnb57 ; - you could always 'go nuclear' and have a browse on aliexpress, this worked for this old build at less than £50 if I remember (a proper rosewood facing on the headstock, too!)

(don't judge me, I was younger then)

I really like that!
    There's a chinese seller (listed as uk stock) who has a hockey stick style neck, might be worth a punt at £28
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Banana-Neck-Dot-Inlay-22-Frets-for-Electric-Guitar-Replacement-Maple-Fingerboard/223657120867

I haven't bought from this particular seller but I have bought a strat type neck before (£20) like this before and was pleasantly surprised at the build quality. Low quality fret wire was about the only bad point, but the neck itself was well made.

I'm tempted to get one myself for an explorer project.
    Thanks it might be worth a punt

• Epiphone did a really shit Strat type guitar that had a Kramer type headstock. You might be able to find one of those on ebay. They should be really cheap as they're made of ply.
    @HarrySeven has/had one of those Epiphone guitars. Perhaps, he would be open to offers?

ICBM said:
    … the string angles at the nut are quite extreme for the top strings in particular, which leads to tuning problems.
    In the absence of a string clamping device, would a roller nut alleviate the string splay angles problem?
    Funkfingers said:

In the absence of a string clamping device, would a roller nut alleviate the string splay angles problem?
    Not sure - it depends how much friction there is between the string and the side of the guide slot.

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if a plain brass nut - lubricated would help - as MattNovak suggested would be the best. It would definitely stop the problem of the end of the nut breaking off too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8031
    @HarrySeven has/had one of those Epiphone guitars. Perhaps, he would be open to offers?
    Sadly, no more...

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    ICBM said:
    A properly pointy (Charvel/Jackson style) headstock without a locking nut is a bad idea, because the string angles at the nut are quite extreme for the top strings in particular, which leads to tuning problems - or in some cases the nut snapping off at the top E slot.
    Is it really that different to an Explorer headstock? They seem to work OK...

Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    JayGee said:

A bit more extreme, and they have tuning problems too.

Ugly stupid design either way! I’ve always hated both of them.

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    ICBM said:
    JayGee said:

A bit more extreme, and they have tuning problems too.

Ugly stupid design either way! I’ve always hated both of them.
    It’s clearly form over function in a big way but then that’s Explorers for you generally. 

Bloody stupid things really but my inner 14 year old can’t resist them and I loved gigging with mine and (surprisingly) I’ve always found tuning pretty solid on it, certainly I’ve got things with more conventional headstock designs which are no better and sometimes worse...

Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...