SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Rickenbacker TR75 part-out

What's Hot
KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
edited September 2020 in Misc £
I recently took a Rickenbacker TR75 in trade, a 2x12 tranny combo from around 1978. Plans to restore it to full working order and retire on the proceed were scotched when I found there was no power amp board inside! Hence I am parting it out. Here's the amp as was for context (but now gutted):

1. Eminence 12in 8ohm 'square magnet' speaker 1978 vintage

In good working order - no holes or tears in the cone, which moves freely on the suspension. I have had it working, hooked up to an amp playing some recorded music.

Code 677841 means:
67 - manufactured by Eminence
78 - in 1978 (schematic is dated 1977, amp was produced into early 80s))
41 - 41st week i.e. October
I haven't been able to get any specific information from the other code, but given there were two in a 75W amp, I expect it would handle at least 35-40W.

I have cleaned off a load of dust and cobwebs. There is some surface rust on the basket, which you should be able to see in the photos. This is 'No.2' as No.1 has already been sold to a tFB member.

£45 delivered UK mainland.

2. Stancor mains transformer

Primary is 240V or 120V - connect purple wire to blue wire for 240V operation. Secondary is approx 27-0-27 VAC, which will give about 37-0-37 VDC when rectified.

Tested and working.

£25 delivered UK mainland.

3. Rickenbacker TR75 Pre-amp PCBs complete with knobs

Both fully-populated PCBs form the TR75 combo - the longer thinner one is the Distortion channel, the other is the Effect channel with reverb send and return cables. The knobs push onto the splined pot shafts, and all come with felt spacers except the one for the stereo pot, which doesn't need one. I haven't been able to test these, but I would say as a minimum you will need to replace all the electrolytic caps.

£30 delivered UK mainland.
WITHDRAWN

4. Aluminium/alloy heatsink

185mm x 100mm x 22mm plus removable mounting bar. There are a couple of marks / extra holes from drilling out the rivets.

£10 delivered UK mainland.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    This might attract more attention over in the Amps £ section.

Any second now, @ICBM will comment, explaining how the amplifier could have been restored to full health with some dusty spare parts, languishing in a cupboard in an Edinburgh workshop.  ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72322

Any second now, @ICBM will comment, explaining how the amplifier could have been restored to full health with some dusty spare parts, languishing in a cupboard in an Edinburgh workshop.  ;)
    Indeed...

It would be a shame to break it up for parts. It would be easy to fit a modular power amp or one out of an old PA head or something like that to replace the missing one - although it's not an extremely rare amp it's quite a cool thing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    edited August 2020
    ICBM said:

Any second now, @ICBM will comment, explaining how the amplifier could have been restored to full health with some dusty spare parts, languishing in a cupboard in an Edinburgh workshop. 
    Indeed...

It would be a shame to break it up for parts. It would be easy to fit a modular power amp or one out of an old PA head or something like that to replace the missing one - although it's not an extremely rare amp it's quite a cool thing.
    I have to respectfully disagree. It's a tranny amp that weighs as much as a small car. If I did go to the trouble and expense of fitting a new power amp, would I want it? No. Would anyone else? I doubt it, it wouldn't exactly be collectable!

Anyway, that ship has sailed. One lucky tFB member is eagerly awaiting the loudspeaker that will allow them to restore their TR25 to original spec.

If the circuit boards don't sell, I may well use the fx PCB and the rather nice OC Folded Line Reverb Tank ('Manufactured by beautiful girls...', and not for sale) to build a standalone reverb unit. Now that to me would be a cool thing, and if I do it, I'll post a build thread!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

^^^^

^^^^^^^^

Bump 
    BBUUMMPP
    bump
    PCBs withdrawn - I’ve a mind to build the preamp/reverb into a stand-alone unit.