Humbucker Strat Bridge Recommendations (single-coil sized)

What's Hot
KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
edited August 2020 in Guitar
EDIT: Title amended to reflect it's actually a single coil-sized humbucker that I want.

I have a WTB post up for an older version Seymour Duncan Little '59, however, I'm not sure how successful I'll be

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/186923/wtb-seymour-duncan-little-59-for-strat-bridge-in-white-older-version#latest

So, I just wondered if people had any personal recommendations for Strat, single spaced, stacked humbuckers in the bridge position?

I'm aware of some of the other Seymour Duncan ones (JB Jr, Screamin' Demon etc) and I'm not a fan of the newer Little 59's but these other ones are a little hot and I want keep medum output and note the Little '59 is a Ceramic rather than an Alnico.

There's also the Dimarzio Injector that Paul Gilbert uses and the Dimarzio Cruiser, but any recommendations or experiences with any of these or others?

Thanks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SD Cool Rails, single sized side by side humbucker?  
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    None of the pickups mentioned so far has stacked coils.

The STK-10 YJM Fury does but, in the bridge position, it produces the tones of a slightly beefed up Stratocaster.

Of the Duncan side-by-side coil pickups, the only models with an Alnico bar magnet are the Custom Shop Pearly Gates For Stratocaster and its more affordable derivative, the Red Devil.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    SD Cool Rails, single sized side by side humbucker?  
    Thanks and just looked at the specs and that seems quite close to my Little '59 :)
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17607
    tFB Trader
    I have an old  lil 59 I'm not using.

I've recently put some dimarzio rails in my strat and they are very good although the billy Corgan ones are a bit hot and dark.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22794

I don't think the Cool Rails is intended to have a humbucker-like sound, though.

First thing that came to mind for me was the DiMarzio Pro Track, that's designed to sound like a vintage PAF in single-coil size, so a similar concept to the Little '59.  I've never heard one directly compared to the other, though.

However, DiMarzio have loads of newer side-by-side Strat humbuckers, there might be something there which would suit you better.

None of the pickups mentioned so far has stacked coils.

The STK-10 YJM Fury does but, in the bridge position, it produces the tones of a slightly beefed up Stratocaster.

Of the Duncan side-by-side coil pickups, the only models with an Alnico bar magnet are the Custom Shop Pearly Gates For Stratocaster and its more affordable derivative, the Red Devil.
    Thanks and was it you who mentioned before that you thought there was a sonic difference between the older, taped Little '59 and the newer, plastic-cased ones?
    The plastic covers limit the dimensions of the coils. 

On the earlier, taped versions, the coils could be so fat that they would struggle to pass through the pickup cut-outs in the scratchplate.
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 917
    I know they're cheap but I really like the Irongear Smoke Stack II. Hotter than a single coil but not as hot as a rails pickup. Slightly thicker sounding than a single (as you'd expect) but still retain some s/c character.

I should own up that I'm generally not a fan of SD pickups and I usually end up replacing them or selling the guitar.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    From your list of options (other than the DiMarzio Injector), it sounds like you want a mini-humbucker not a stacked one. They aren't the same thing at all - a stacked humbucker looks like, and is meant to emulate the sound of, a single coil but without the hum. A mini-humbucker is meant to emulate the sound of a full-size humbucker but in a casing that will fit into a Strat/Tele cutout.

I detest the Li'l '59... but like the Li'l Screamin' Demon and the JB Jr. - the LSD is in fact only medium output, despite its name. I'm not really a fan of the Rails series, although the Hot Rails does have its place as the highest-output passive Strat pickup I know of. The Vintage Rails is terrible.

I also like the DiMarzio Fast Track and Chopper.

None of them sound like the full-size pickups they're claimed to emulate though - it's impossible due to the restrictions of the coil dimensions and the sensing length on the string.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2020
    ICBM said:
    From your list of options (other than the DiMarzio Injector), it sounds like you want a mini-humbucker not a stacked one. They aren't the same thing at all - a stacked humbucker looks like, and is meant to emulate the sound of, a single coil but without the hum. A mini-humbucker is meant to emulate the sound of a full-size humbucker but in a casing that will fit into a Strat/Tele cutout.

I detest the Li'l '59... but like the Li'l Screamin' Demon and the JB Jr. - the LSD is in fact only medium output, despite its name. I'm not really a fan of the Rails series, although the Hot Rails does have its place as the highest-output passive Strat pickup I know of. The Vintage Rails is terrible.

I also like the DiMarzio Fast Track and Chopper.

None of them sound like the full-size pickups they're claimed to emulate though - it's impossible due to the restrictions of the coil dimensions and the sensing length on the string.
    Thanks as always @ICBM and I didn't realise there was a difference (title amended). You're completely correct there - I want a mini-humbucker and I've discovered they don't sound the same as a full-sized one and I like the fact there is some single coil character still in there.

I actually put a full-sized 59 in a Schecter Custom Shop Superstrat and was disappointed they didn't even sound in the same ball park. However, I have a full-sized 59 in the neck position of a Charvel I've just acquired and I really like it with cleans and overdrive.

I'm also not a fan of the newer, full plastic-cased Little '59. It sounds harsh and shrill to me and I have heard the Li'l Screamin Demon is meant to be tamer than people think.

Let's see as there may be an old, Little '59 on the horizon, courtesy of these fair parish, but if not it'll be a bit of journey but Seymour Duncan outlets still seem to have a 21 day returns policy.

Much appreciated

Kebabkid said:
    Seymour Duncan outlets still seem to have a 21 day returns policy.
    Only in the Lower 48, IIRC.

Kebabkid said:
    Seymour Duncan outlets still seem to have a 21 day returns policy.
    Only in the Lower 48, IIRC.

Bum! Cheers FF
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3047
    Maybe look at the Dimarzio Pro Track, Cos. Not played with one myself but Dimarzios description sounds like it would suit what you're looking for
    Stevepage said:
    Maybe look at the Dimarzio Pro Track, Cos. Not played with one myself but Dimarzios description sounds like it would suit what you're looking for
    Thanks Steve.

I was looking at that as they had it up against the JB Jr and there were some other clips - Cheers Steve
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I had one of the older Lil '59s, albeit a neck version and frankly I found it nothing like a full sized '59, not even in the same city let alone ball park
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Do you actually want a humbucker sound or more oomph and less treble?
    I wanted the latter and tried a Bare Knuckle Sinner (with backplate) Neck pickup at the bridge...sorted!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 3047
    normula1 said:
    I had one of the older Lil '59s, albeit a neck version and frankly I found it nothing like a full sized '59, not even in the same city let alone ball park
    Yep true. I have a full size 59 in my Warmoth and a Lil 59 in my Strat. Definitely don't sound alike. Still sounds good to my ears but certainly a little less bottom in its tone.
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    Ihave a few in my various teles, I quite like the lil 59 in my last build, I have a coil tap so it gets closer to a tele sound, but it is a pretty hot pickup.
    I have a Duncan hot rail-I think, in another, which is a bit too brutal sounding. And I think my favourite is a Dimarzio Tonezone, in an esquire, that pickup is a bit special, and is perfect for my needs.
    I'd think having one in a strat might have some unintended consequences in positions 2 and 4, and it might be difficult to get a balance with the other pickups. The Dave Murrey and Ed O'Brian strats may give some insight.
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    Go all Andy Timmons and choose-ah the Cruiser
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Drop me a PM if you fancy a Seymour Duncan Red Devil in white