2k paint safety ?

What's Hot
I have just realised , that the mask I have ( 3M 4255) won't be good for painting  . 
The plan is to paint my project guitar body with 1k automotive spray can and finish it with ( likely ) 2k top coat can. 
There are quite a few choices out there , but I haven't got clue what I actually need for this job . 
Can you recommend a definitely safe mask for 2k paint that won't cost arm and leg ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mooncatmooncat Frets: 112
    The only really safe mask for use with 2k paint is a fresh air respirator and should also cover your eyes to stop the isocyanates from entering your body. You also need a big compresser to run the gun and the mask together.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JazzthatJazzthat Frets: 163
    mooncat said:
    The only really safe mask for use with 2k paint is a fresh air respirator and should also cover your eyes to stop the isocyanates from entering your body. You also need a big compresser to run the gun and the mask together.
    I have just read few threads on forums and some say it's ok some others definitely not advisable without air fed mask . 

Well that scraps 2k top coat ... 

What about 1k though , Is this ok to spray safely with  respiratory mask outside ?
    If so which mask should I go for .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2928
    edited August 2020 tFB Trader
    1k is basically similar to nitro; solvent-based and around 50% thinners. It touch-dries in a similar time, but doesn't keep shrinking back for ages like nitro. It's no tougher or more durable than nitro. Disadvantage is it's not intended for much of any build, and if you try it can crack up like crazy paving, and stress crack from corners, holes etc. But if your prep's good you can do thin coats.
    I would stick with nitro because it's easier to flat & polish, though with the provisos above there's notalot in it really.

Your mask will be fine especially outdoors. If you can't smell thinners when spraying, you're good.

2k - people saying it's safe don't know what they're on about... it's not to be taken lightly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom