Best way to practice staining?

What's Hot
Hi all,

In preparation for my upcoming PRS style project I want to try out some staining techniques and colours. The guitar will have a flamed maple cap, so ideally I want to be practicing on something that's not drastically different, though of course each bit of wood has its own properties.

Is there a way I could do this without having to buy solid bits of flamed maple? I considered getting some veneers but they look fairly expensive as well, and I'm not sure a water based stain would go well with a very thin veneer unless I glued it to a thicker piece of wood.

If you do suggest the veneer route, are there any places you'd recommend to buy cheap veneers?

Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MattNovakMattNovak Frets: 907
    For general practice, I'd pick up some plain maple skirting board - this will show you how the wood takes the stain and get you in the ballpark for the colour you want.... you can pick up veneer leaves relatively cheaply on eBay too
    www.theflyingacesband.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks @MattNovak ! Great idea.
  • MattNovakMattNovak Frets: 907
    No worries, should be about £10 / metre.... Ive got a few scraps here you're welcome to if you're near Cambridge :)
    www.theflyingacesband.com
  • Thanks for the offer Matt, unfortunately I'm on the other side of the country :)