MIDI keyboard help...

MartinBushMartinBush Frets: 252
edited August 2020 in Studio & Recording
Hi all

I have just taken delivery of a new Akai midi keyboard.

I started using Reaper a few weeks back and got going within  minutes using guitar and mic via the audio interface. So I get the basics there. But MIDI is something altogether different. How on earth do i get it to work?

I know it doesn't output audio like my guitar, so I'm not that unaware, but despite watching video tutorials I'm non the wiser as to how to make it do what it's supposed to do! I have watched the Kenny Gioia one which is very straightforward, but when I follow it the outcome doesn't seem to be the same. I guess i expected with it being 2020 Reaper would help me out with some prompts, but no... I've packed up and am heading out for a walk with the dog before I throw everything out the window+

I dont play keyboards I just want to use it to add some sounds to my tracks and do some drum programming. 

Can anyone give me a below idiot level guide to at least get me going?

I am using Reaper runnning on Windows 7. Keyboard is an Akai MPK mini mk2.

Martin
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MartinBushMartinBush Frets: 252
    That's the one I mean in my post. I will have to go through it again, but from what I recall of earlier things didnt happens as i expected after a certain point. I set the settings but despite being lit up the keyboard didnt seem to interact with reaper.
  • MartinBushMartinBush Frets: 252
    edited August 2020
    In case anyone is interested, after spending hours the day before trying to work it out, yesterday I managed it in about a minute...

The problem was that the video above showed a slightly different view of the Reaper track which threw me. At my second attempt I didn't bother with the video and did what I thought made sense!

At some point I may come back with questions about what appears to be latency, but I will have more of a play before I find it's another easy to work out matter :)