Is this repairable?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33805
    I may be able to help out.

One of my colleagues made his parlour guitar with a cedar top.
    It isn't quite finished yet but when it is I'll do some comparing.
    It is fairly similar- he used cherry back and sides & mahogany neck, the same as me.
    The only real differences are the cedar vs spruce top and he used rosewood for the fingerboard and bridge, where I used ebony.
    ICBM said:
    octatonic said:
    Cedar can be really nice- it doesn't have as much top end as spruce, usually.
    Quite a bit softer too.
    I find cedar too soft-sounding and lacking in definition/punch compared to spruce, but I'm not 100% certain it isn't the guitar design rather than the wood itself - it's rare to find exact equivalents made with both woods.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Bidley said:

Sad to hear how it got damaged, I'd be particularly gutted. I do look forward to seeing how you get on with it, this thread has turned out more educational than I thought!

Nice to know my eBay-trawling isn't always a complete waste of time.

Oh yes, seriously mate- thanks for the heads up.
    I wasn't looking for the 3rd year repair project just yet but I did need to find something.
    This is the perfect project, albeit a fairly big project.

I'm starting the prep for it now, before the school year starts, in order to give myself a bit more time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2932
    edited July 2014
    No probs dude, hope it helps. Nice gesture, offering it back to the bloke who sold it to you. It'd make for a great story if he bought it back from you all repaired :)
    That was kinda my idea- I do need a cheap guitar to practice on but once I've done the job I don't actually need the guitar so it made sense to offer to get it back to him if he wanted.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72485
    edited July 2014
    Bidley said:
    Nice gesture, offering it back to the bloke who sold it to you. It'd make for a great story if he bought it back from you all repaired :)
    Only a good idea if he's not still in a relationship with the same woman ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2932
    ICBM said:
    Bidley said:
    Nice gesture, offering it back to the bloke who sold it to you. It'd make for a great story if he bought it back from you all repaired :)
    Only a good idea if he's not still in a relationship with the same woman ;).
    If he is then he deserves another battered guitar! :)