Recording guitars for reamping

What's Hot
We've got studio time booked and to save time the done thing these days seems to be to record guitars in advance for reamping. I've never done this before. I don't have amp modelling software but do have a DAW. This may sound primitive/stupid but would the following work? : 

Run the guitar into a signal splitter with one going into the amp so I can hear what I'm doing and the other going into the DAW to record the clean signal. Then whilst making edits to the recorded signal, run the audio out of the headphone/speaker output on the audio interface into the input on the amp. 

If this isn't going to work I'll just have to record the guitars in the studio like the good old days. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Track dry through a low latency modelling plugin.
    That’s it- your signal won’t be recorded wet, you use the dry signal to reamp.
  • EddieVNEddieVN Frets: 1
    octatonic said:
    My music PC is so old and laggy I don't know if it would handle recording whilst running a plug in. I'm using FL, and to be honest if I'm going to have to start getting plugins etc I'd rather just record the guitars in the studio like normal. Would my method suggested above not work? 
  • ChrisRGChrisRG Frets: 55
    Others with much more experience than me on this may have a better suggestion but....

If you've got a DAW (and I assume and interface), then why not get an amp VST (virtual instrument)?  I've used Scuffhams S-Gear but there are also free ones out there.  You'll already have the DI guitar signal into your DAW, so you can just add the amp model and turn on monitoring to hear what an amped/effected guitar sounds like.

I use Studio One and before I got my Helix, all of my Solo of the Month stuff was done with guitar DI into the DAW with Scuffhams S-Gear amps.

Once you've got the DI guitar, you can copy the track to add different sounds etc.
  • ChrisRGChrisRG Frets: 55
    To add.  Not sure how the whole re-amping thing would work in the studio but if you have the DI guitar stems, then I assume the studio guys could send that out to wherever it needs to go and back into the DAW
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    Seems a weird thing to do, the whole point of a recording session is to capture a moment in time. Re-amping is just a modern way of having more goes at getting the sound right.
    When you take your pre recorded tracks into the studio, they will either sound out of place with stuff recorded at the session, or will dictate how the session goes, which might limit creativity.
    It is normal these days to capture a DI signal when recording, which can be used with a multitude of plugins to get a different sound, if none of those are suitable there is the option of sending the DI through actual amps in the studio, which is useful if the track doesn't work with the live sound in the session, this is usually done post recording, and isn't something I have heard being done pre-recording session.
    I have very limited experience though-so what do I know?
    I have done the same thing many times to actually build on ideas, but would think you are paying for a recording session to capture a well rehearsed track.
     Re-amping is a good solution if you are not happy with what the amp sounded like on the day, it is a good safety net for the mixer, otherwise you could simply do an overdub.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    EddieVN said:
    octatonic said:
    My music PC is so old and laggy I don't know if it would handle recording whilst running a plug in. I'm using FL, and to be honest if I'm going to have to start getting plugins etc I'd rather just record the guitars in the studio like normal. Would my method suggested above not work? 
    If you really can't run a single modelling plugin live when what you propose above would be an acceptable work around.