Pickup cover killing signal?

I'm attempting to cover a Gibson 490R in my explorer, everything works fine until I add the pickup cover? I've not wax potted but tried double sided tape and then soldered the cover and it still completely kills the output regardless.
I'm sure i'm doing something glaringly stupid but if someone could tell me what it is that would be fab :s
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72475
    Sounds like the cover is shorting against an exposed wire, most likely the tip of the output cable where it's soldered to the coil wire.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• It appears to be when it’s touching the base plate, which the output cable is soldered to which makes sense I guess. Would insulating the outside of the baseplate work?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72475
    It appears to be when it’s touching the base plate, which the output cable is soldered to which makes sense I guess. Would insulating the outside of the baseplate work?
    No, that will make the cover 'hot' and so it will cause noise when you touch it rather than shielding the pickup. You need to find what's touching the inside of the cover and insulate that - if necessary, just wrap the bobbins in another layer of tape.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    It appears to be when it’s touching the base plate, which the output cable is soldered to which makes sense I guess. Would insulating the outside of the baseplate work?
    No, that will make the cover 'hot' and so it will cause noise when you touch it rather than shielding the pickup. You need to find what's touching the inside of the cover and insulate that - if necessary, just wrap the bobbins in another layer of tape.
    Did exactly that and it’s sorted it right out, not sure what was touching as it all looked pretty well insulated but there was obviously something! Thanks for your help =)

https://imgur.com/a/VFskco6