Peavey Bandit resurrection

What's Hot
I’ve recently picked up a silver stripe Peavey Bandit which has developed some issues on the gain channel and I’m wondering what the fixes may be. 
 The treble and post gain knobs are slightly intermittent, and a little loose - if you pull on them slightly there’s a thicker drive sound and a bit more volume, let go and you either get a quieter sound or nothing/static. 
Secondly, anything past 5/6 on the pre gain knob and you get a bit of an ‘artifact’ like an unpleasant fuzz on the notes. Before that it doesn’t sound too bad though - could just be the amp’s natural gain sound I guess? 

So basically, any advice on this other than the obvious - contact cleaner on all the pots and tighten the pots up? 

Thank you!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14491
    Wobbly control knobs could be symptomatic of the PCB-mounted pots not being secure. This can only be checked properly by removing the amp chassis tray from the cabinet.

On some Peavey solid state guitar amplifiers, a wasp-in-a-jamjar raspy clipping is just the way they sound. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72471
    That will almost certainly be either just dirty pots, or at worst cracked solder joints on them. Try cleaning them with contact cleaner/lubricant first, and if that doesn’t fix it you’ll need to take the board out and check for bad joints.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jdbwalesjdbwales Frets: 311
    Thanks gents - will get in there with the contact cleaner and iron if needed later!
    @ICBM @Funkfingers  - I’ve got inside the Peavey finally and cleaned/tightened, everything is now bang on (amazingly, these things really do just keep on ticking) apart from one thing that I’ve found out was a big cause of noise - the reverb. When the verb is at 0, the amp is noise free and sounds surprisingly lovely, but turn it up and it gets very noisy very quickly. 

I have cleaned and tightened the reverb knob but the noise is still there. Any ideas? I think next I’ll try contact cleaners on the RCA plus on the tank?

Thank you both for the help so far. This is coming together nicely, tempted to spray the cabinet or recover it in some sort of ridiculous vinyl...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72471
    edited August 2020
    Yes, noise from the reverb may well be a tank ground issue.

I can’t remember whether these are supposed to be grounded at both ends or only one. It’s also possible the tank is connected the wrong way round if someone has been at it...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I’ll try and investigate over the next few days and try a few things - weird as I had a Fender Performer with pretty much the same issue. I love reverb but it doesn’t seem to love me!