67 Flying V humbucket string spacing issue

What's Hot
Hi. I am in the process of building from scratch a 67 Flying V, a first time for me and I think I have made an error in my choice of humbuckers. Not being sure about the string spacing I bought a set of Seymour Duncan vintage blues humbuckers which are 49mm string spacing. I intend to put on a Nashville T.O.M. bridge and vibrola trem. These I believe have a string spacing of about 51mm, (might be wrong here) hence my issue. So will these humbuckers be ok or what are the correct type for this model. Are there any alternative make of pickup that will do. Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7050
    tFB Trader
    They'll be absolutely fine. In 1967 all Gibson humbuckers had 49.2mm spacing. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • peteropetero Frets: 0
    Thanks very much. So it would be ok if the outer poles are not exactly in line with both e strings albeit only about 1 mm
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7050
    tFB Trader
    It will cause no problem whatsoever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thank you much appreciated
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72500
    It only makes any difference if the strings are not over any part of the polepieces at all, and even then only barely. The magnetic field is just not that defined.

Play a Strat on the neck pickup, bend a string up to directly in between two of the poles, and see how much the signal level drops. It makes slightly more difference at the ends of the pickup, but still not a lot.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Nice one thanks
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2587
    tFB Trader
    I am a bit OTT for this sort of thing, with testing it is easy to see that it does make a difference and so I generally would avoid it, but to some extent you can adjust pole height to compensate.

You may find the string tone will be different whether you pick up or down too, puling the string over the pole or away from the pole.

But it might not be a problem for you when playing in the moment so I would fit them and if you find the volume drops off too much on misaligned poles then replace them.
    Thanks