NGD: Fender 70th Anniversary Custom Shop Broadcaster

What's Hot
WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9584
I reckon it was about 14 years or so when I first stumbled across the Nachos Banos 'The Blackguard' book. It is an expensive coffee table book, that looks at the history of Leo's first guitars in incredible detail. Each instrument he examines is broken down into parts, and subject to an astonishing review and comparisons.

I'd always been a Tele fan, and had purchased a Nocaster Heavy Relic CS for my 50th from Wildwood Guitars. I gigged and used this guitar for many years, compensating and adapting my style that wonderfully infamous chunky neck !

Anyway, as the years went on; forums emerged and a new experience came into my life - GAS. And I sold the Nocaster (or part ex it, I cant remember). At this point I had acquired a wonderful Fender Masterbuilt Jason Smith '63 Heavy Relic Strat. I've never really been a Strat fan, but this was a special guitar, and has remained with me ever since. 

Nonetheless, I have missed owning a Tele for some years now, and it really is where my heart lies...

So, the search began probably about 12 months ago...

In the meantime, prices of guitars (and CS in general) have rocketed. Much to my dismay, CS prices now hit £4k, something which previously would have bought top end guitars of any make. I just had to suck it up...

Question:  How Do You Know What Neck You Like ???

We talk a lot about 60s C, Nocaster U etc etc, but Ive only ever really known through feel. I can't pinpoint a specific neck, and I do believe a guitarist should be able to adapt anyway. Still, a few trips to various shops began to eliminate certain necks, pick up combos, and feel in general. Then, the process of matching 'my spec' to the Fender Teles out there...

I learnt I preferred the following;

1.) Heavy Relics - they can get knocked and dinked with no worries. I always think nitro guitars sounds AND feel better anyway.

2.) Sanded Neck - must have one of these. I played a couple of lovely CS Masterbuild Designed guitars which were lovely, BUT the necks were too lacquered and slow for me personally. 

3.) Darker Colour Butterscotch/ Darker Neck - again, just something Id always preferred. The neck especially to have that aged tobacco smoke look.

Then, out of the blue Fender decided to release some 70th Anniversary Specials - and all of them to bear the magic 'Broadcaster' name for the first time since 1950-51 !! They aimed to release an American model, CS Team Built and Masterbuilt. The latter came in a £7K (!!!) which was out, but the Custom Shop (CS) looked bang on and even had some (very few) heavy relics. I settled on this one, and it duly arrived.

First thing to note, was that the case didn't sport the 70th Anniversary Logo. Strange choice by Fender, but hey ho. But the Broadcaster comes with an adapted vintage wiring (with blend) and a fully modern 3 way writing assembly. Nice touch indeed there.

The guitar smelt gorgeous out of the case, and had the usual COA and build sheet.

So, how do the specs match ???

Well, the neck is perfect. Bang on. Sanded, heavy reliced, comfortable as can be. A handful, but not Nocaster big. This CS guitar was based on a genuine 1950 Broadcaster and it shows. The neck is thankfully one piece rift sawn, aged delightfully and is possibly the best Fender neck Ive played. Effortless.

It is a very heavy relic ! The critics will rev and rumble, but looking at the Nacho Blackguard book, Im amazed at how close the relicing gets sometimes to actual vintage guitars. 

The acoustic sound is loud, chimey and powerful. Always a good sign in a geetar, imho...

The pick ups are hand-wound ’50-’51 Blackguard pickups with ’51 modded Nocaster wiring. These appear to be quite powerful. 
I really like the vintage wiring with the blend option; the blend mixes the neck and bridge pick ups at the expense of the tone control. I work the pots and pick ups a lot, so may yet revert to the modern 3-way; we shall see...

Initial thoughts are that the bridge is powerful, clear and has great note separation. It is less harsh that most Teles Ive played, and that will suit me down to the ground (hopefully !) as I'll be pairing it with the Matchless Nighthawk... this tends to be a top end heavy amp, with treble output that can be challenging to tame...

Neck pickup is lovely and balanced; not quite as Stratty as some Nocaster pickups Ive played, but def in that vintage Tele double-stop mode. 

With the volume rolled back, and the blend adjusted, there are some really sweet (even acoustic) tones that can be coaxed out of the guitar. Spin the volume up and the blend, and the raucous vintage Tele sound emerges :)

The full test will come this evening, when we have our first band rehearsal since lockdown !!!

More to follow tomorrow :)

0reaction image LOL 24reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Hot. Damn, Yes.

Teles will inherit the earth.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    Fabulous guitar and a very thoughtful write up. 

I’d be interested to read how you get on with the blend configuration. 

That fingerboard: it looks right! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9584
    Redlester said:
    Fabulous guitar and a very thoughtful write up. 

I’d be interested to read how you get on with the blend configuration. 

That fingerboard: it looks right! 
    That’s the key issue you’ve raised there. I do like the traditional 3 way (and the full assembly) is included.... so we shall see =)

Note: Ill have to take some better photos, as the colour is actually darker in reality.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14312
    tFB Trader
    Good detailed description Waz - Enjoy it for many many years

Blend wiring - Assuming yours is like a recent 'CS 2018 Ltd Ed Double Esquire' I had in stock - On the neck position with the cap on and the highs rolled off I think they have this option right - Far more subtle than the older version which just goes to deep and dirty - Just rolls off enough highs - No tone pot at all can be an issue if the bridge pick up is to spikey and fizzy, especially with gain, but I found there was enough control on the vol pot, to allow a 'softer' voice 

If you change the control layout, one option is just to re-wire accordingly - I'd be more tempted to get a new 'pre-wired' loom from the likes of @sixstringsupplies - That way keep a preserved original version to put back at a later date, especially if you decide to sell
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13946
    edited August 2020
    Stone the crows! Outstanding work @Wazmeister ;, I love it. My recently purchased CS Tele has become my favourite guitar, I don't play the others...I'm even considering trading up to get another CS Tele, perhaps a blackguard to go with it! Your NGD isn't helping with that.

I hope you enjoy your new blackguard, I have Nachos book too, it's superb

• AlexOAlexO Frets: 1097
    Lovely! Now I want a CS Tele again.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14312
    tFB Trader
    Stone the crows! Outstanding work @Wazmeister ;, I love it. My recently purchased CS Tele has become my favourite guitar, I don't play the others...I'm even considering trading up to get another CS Tele, perhaps a blackguard to go with it! Your NGD isn't helping with that.

I haven't got the Nachos book - Roll on Christmas or Oct birthday 

I haven't got the Nachos book - Roll on Christmas or Oct birthday 
    Someone loves you, it ain't cheap! 

• chris78chris78 Frets: 9347
    Nacho’s book is worth every penny, but it’s gas inducing.

Congrats on what looks like a fantastic guitar. I’m so pleased you got there in the end.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11891
    I saw the USA version and want one but this trumps that... Lol
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2807
    Lovely guitar.  I’m really with you on the darkened maple neck too.
    Not sure I could live without a tone control on the bridge pickup though, the wiring is the only concern I have with these anniversary Broadcasters but it can be convert to modern easily enough I guess.

• grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1346
    Holly schmolly... congrats. It’s a beaut!
    Not sure I could live without a tone control on the bridge pickup though, the wiring is the only concern I have with these anniversary Broadcasters but it can be convert to modern easily enough I guess.
    I thought they come with modern wiring but it also comes with a transistor that you can re-wire to be the original way yourself, it comes with a diagram.  Rather than the other way round.
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1414
    I thought they come with modern wiring but it also comes with a transistor that you can re-wire to be the original way yourself, it comes with a diagram. 
    The non-CS 70th anniversary is supplied like that.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5175
    Sublime....I’m loving that  <3
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3399
    Beauty! Congrats @Wazmeister ;
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5057
    edited August 2020
    Nice fiddle Waz.

Dibs, when the inevitable comes around... 
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9584
    I thought they come with modern wiring but it also comes with a transistor that you can re-wire to be the original way yourself, it comes with a diagram. 
    The non-CS 70th anniversary is supplied like that.
    This model comes with a modern ‘spare’.

edited August 2020
    Oh wow, it comes with a fully wired control plate, the USA one just a single piece of transistor!