Documenting sections in DAWs

What's Hot
I know the basics of using DAWs, am currently playing with Cakewalk, Reaper and studio one. To work out which I want to use, Reaper seems to be my favourite so far.
However does anybody know if it's possible to have an information track displaying at the top of the screen. i.e. I can document chord changes, If bridge, verse, chorus, etc.
Would have though it would be a standard feature, e.g. insert documentation track.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    They are generally called markers and most DAW's have them.
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4648
    Cheers for that would love to have multi level markers with say top level saying verse and then an extra line with chord changes
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7295
    I use regions extensively in reaper, that combined with amrkers can give you sahort text, then there is a free from notes area for logner stuff.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    Cheers for that would love to have multi level markers with say top level saying verse and then an extra line with chord changes
    Like this, you mean?

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    S1 has both a marker track and an arrange view. Arrange is designed for dragging, dropping etc sections of the track around as as such it defines areas rather than single points in time, but if it was purely as a visual aid you could probably use that to define song sections and the marker track to show chord changes or other notes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    I think you can actually make notes on a track in Reaper. Set up a track, with sections as desired, and there is a way of having the notes ( written) displayed within it. It might be an addon, via SWS extensions, or Reapack.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2198
    edited August 2020
    In Reaper I use regions to denote sections because that lets me easily drag-move and drag-copy regions try different arrangements.

I denote chords using empty items, instead of audio or midi items, which allows me to type in the chords.

I sometimes use markers to mark the start of specific sections.

Below is an example of regions, a marker and a chord sequence. I could insert pictures into the empty items as well if, for example, I wanted to show chord boxes.

https://i.imgur.com/ijqCpCc.png

It's not a competition.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2418
    Yes the marker functionality in most DAWs is weirdly shit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom